School me on the early Ford Focus

boatcop1

Established Member
With gas prices here in CT at $4.00 a gallon already i decided to sell my daughters Cherokee and get her into something a little more economical. I have been eying a 200 Ford Focus 2dr hatch with an auto trans and 122k on the clock. I have heard mixed revies so I'm not sure if I want to go this route.

Other cars I am considering are.

Early Corola
Civic
Golf or Jetta

aprox $3,000 budget

I'm also open to suggestions. (4cyl only please).

Fuerza

Established Member
I plan on getting a 4 cylinder Civic when I'm done in the Stan. IMO the build quality is better, and maintenance is cheaper.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I used to have a focus back in time...good cars but with that much mileage reliability might be an issue. For sure we know corollas and civics last very long as long as they are maintained well....V-dubs are a pain to maintain

I say civic or corolla, and since civics get stolen alot

toyota? just my .02

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You might have some luck if you post in the Focus section.

I would like to mention that a 2000+ Dodge Neon is a good car. We had one that had 150,000 miles on it and had we not hydroplaned and totaled it, wife would still be driving it. It was a great car that has a lot of room, got great gas mileage(avg 26mpg and got 30+ on the hwy) and gave us 0 trouble.

boatcop1

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. There is nothing but junk out there for what I'm willing to spend so this is going to be a interesting hunt. The Civics i've found all have wings and fart pipes!

mrlrd1

Established Member
The early 2000-03 cars are European trash and should be avoided at all costs. They were the most recalled car in history. They got progressively better starting in 2004, with major improvements in 2007.

A Corolla or Civic would be far better. Like the Focus, avoid the VW cars like the plague.

randg4603

Established Member
I have an 03' focus that is my work commuter (60 miles/day). It has 76k miles right now. There have been some small issues over the years but it still gets 30+ mpg on the highway which is the only road it sees.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I bought a 2000 Focus ZX3 back in August, but it only had 36,000 miles on it. It is a nice little car and I get 30 MPG consistently. There are two main problems with these cars that I have found. (1) The front coil springs have a tendency to crack and (2) the fuel delivery module tends to fail. My driver's side front coil spring cracked after I had it for only a few months, so I replaced both of them. The fuel delivery module is failing and the car hesitates when driving with the gas pedal barely pushed in. I don't think I am going to fix this myself because there is a special tool that was provided to Ford dealers that is needed to replace the FDM. Both of these were covered by an extended 10 year warranty, but they were never fixed in my car. I would check to see if they have been fixed by getting an Oasis report.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/kennyz1963/2009-11-26_043225_spring.pdf

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jsorell/2009-01-19_191427_R03N01.PDF

Hope this helps! :beer:

Last edited:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Stay away from the 2.0l SOHC. The only problems they really have over time are broken coil springs, end links and other typical stuff when the mileage racks up. I have owned 4 of them and all were great cars.

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member
Just got back from looking at two honda civics, damn they were both huge piles of shit.

I like the Focus because it's domestic and are a tad more affordable than a Honda Civic that doesn't have 200k miles on it! But I have now heard from a few that once the mileage goes up they are not as reliable as the corrola or civic. Argggg the hunt continues!

CPRsm

Traded in and lost my ass on a 2001 Jetta for a Ford Focus. Well worth the loss. Only thing replaced in its 110k miles are battery, alternator, tires, thermostat housing and gaskets. When it shits, the bed, we will be getting another.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Theyre tough little boogers.

Just helped a buddy replace a clutch at 150k some odd miles. Parts are cheap for them as well, think he said he paid $100 for the clutch and OEM TOB through some site.

98WhiteSteed

Established Member
I bought a 2000 Focus ZX3 back in August, but it only had 36,000 miles on it. It is a nice little car and I get 30 MPG consistently. There are two main problems with these cars that I have found. (1) The front coil springs have a tendency to crack and (2) the fuel delivery module tends to fail. My driver's side front coil spring cracked after I had it for only a few months, so I replaced both of them. The fuel delivery module is failing and the car hesitates when driving with the gas pedal barely pushed in. I don't think I am going to fix this myself because there is a special tool that was provided to Ford dealers that is needed to replace the FDM. Both of these were covered by an extended 10 year warranty, but they were never fixed in my car. I would check to see if they have been fixed by getting an Oasis report.

Just as a precaution, replace the little coolant tube that sits above your radiator and has like 3 hoses coming off it. Almost every Focus we got in our Ford dealer needed this replaced, or it was coming in because it had burst and they were left stranded. Its about $27, so save yourself a possible overheat/breakdown. Just tryin to help. :thumbsup:

boatcop1

Established Member
Theyre tough little boogers.

Just helped a buddy replace a clutch at 150k some odd miles. Parts are cheap for them as well, think he said he paid $100 for the clutch and OEM TOB through some site.

The Focus?

Here is the one I'm thinking of looking at
Ford Focus ! GreatCondition .

We texted back and forth a couple times. He said he'll take 2,500 for the Focus but I'm not sure if i even want to pay that.

boatcop1

Established Member

Good looking out! Thanks:beer:

Butterybunz

Established Member
Having owned every generation focus except for the last I would not suggest a 2000 focus. I've had a 2000 zx3 and they are not as reliable as a equally valued civic or camry. My old 2004 svt focus was 5 times the car the 2000 zx3 was though. I would consider the new focus to be at or above the quality of new civics and camrys, but the old ones just didnt cut it.

boatcop1

Established Member
2,500 don't seem too bad considering the hassle it's been trying to find something else

Yeah you aint kidding, There is nothing but garbage out there for 3K. I really think that cash for clunkers thing messed up the used car market something fierce. I just want something that will be reliable for a year or two.

boatcop1

Established Member
Having owned every generation focus except for the last I would not suggest a 2000 focus. I've had a 2000 zx3 and they are not as reliable as a equally valued civic or camry. My old 2004 svt focus was 5 times the car the 2000 zx3 was though. I would consider the new focus to be at or above the quality of new civics and camrys, but the old ones just didnt cut it.

I apreciate your opinion:beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
see if you can find something in here:
[ame=http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23]Vehicles For Sale - Focus Fanatics[/ame] you didn't say what your budget was but there are some decent deals in there IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread