Science trivia pop quiz

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Where are the hottest, and the coldest, places in the Solar system?

One hint: you can find both in one body of the solar system.

Another hint: the hottest spot in the solar system is not the heart of the sun. Not by a long shot.

4.698gt

Established Member
Well speaking of solid area(physical ground) and not gaseous areas, I believe venus is the hottest due to the greenhouse effect of the atmosphere. Everything else I haven't a clue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I'm going to say Mercury. Hottest, when it faces the sun, and coldest, pointing away from it.

I'm guessing by the question's hint, you are looking for a single planet's extremes, and not the unique hottest and coldest places...then my answer would change.

Fun quiz though

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m high as fook and even I know it’s earth. ;)
The chemistry which you may be currently experiencing, or not, has not prevented you from true understanding.

The hottest and coldest places in the entire solar system, if not the universe itself, are right here in laboratories on Earth.

In our fusion labs, we have hit temps upwards of a billion.

In our labs, we have hit temps of, I kid you not, due to an error in how it was all calibrated, -6 below absolute zero. Seriously. Due to a fluke in quantum physics, and it has been repeated and verified, we are hitting temps -6K _below_ absolute zero.

Even the huge multi-billion-mass black holes at the centers of galaxies, cannot beat that! (the larger a black hole is, the colder it is. It has been known for about 30 years that the black holes at the centers of galaxies are somewhat colder than the 3kelvin of the background universe. (You can thank Hawking and Susskind, for that, disagree on pretty much everything else, though they did)

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
The LHC.

It's a disgrace that isn't in the US.
We spent over 2 Billion on the collider in Waxahachie, before Hillary got it canceled. There are huge tunnels and office buildings, out there, all underground. And now only fodder for wannabe Sci-Fi authors, like me. Travis, don't even get me started!

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
The chemistry which you may be currently experiencing, or not, has not prevented you from true understanding.

The hottest and coldest places in the entire solar system, if not the universe itself, are right here in laboratories on Earth.

In our labs, we have hit temps of, I kid you not, due to an error in how it was all calibrated, -6 below absolute zero. Seriously. Due to a fluke in quantum physics, and it has been repeated and verified, we are hitting temps -6K _below_ absolute zero.

Even the huge multi-billion-mass black holes at the centers of galaxies, cannot beat that! (the larger a black hole is, the colder it is. It has been known for about 30 years that the black holes at the centers of galaxies are somewhat colder than the 3kelvin of the background universe. (You can thank Hawking and Susskind, for that, disagree on pretty much everything else, though they did)
*I should point out here that "K" means "Kelvin," not "1,000," as the more Metric-System oriented may be inclined to think. I aopologize for not making that more clear.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

I believe I had an unfair advantage as those laboratories were located in my backyard.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
  • Howard Payne : Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?

ALWAYS go faster. ALWAYS go for the explosion! Has Hollyweird taught us nothing, lo these past 30 years?

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Shoot the hostage?

Always shoot the hostage. The miserable SOB hostage was probably working with the bad guy the whole time.

If you never believe anything I have ever said, here in these hallowed pages of Travis', ALWAYS BELIEVE THIS: shoot the hostage!

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Machdup1

Established Member

Hmmm. So we actually haven’t measured all the places in the Universe, but you assume that Mother Nature or a superior alien race does not have hotter or colder temps than your lab.

That attitude is referred to as Hubris and simple probability math shows that you are almost certainly incorrect.

blk02edge

Established Member
Hmmm. So we actually haven’t measured all the places in the Universe, but you assume that Mother Nature or a superior alien race does not have hotter or colder temps than your lab.

That attitude is referred to as Hubris and simple probability math shows that you are almost certainly incorrect.
He certainly should have stated "that we know of"

Users who are viewing this thread