Scrape on 13-14 CF driveshaft, still okay?

merkyworks

Established Member
Posted this in the '07/'12 GT500 forum but not many have CF driveshafts so I figured I should ask here.

I bought a 13-14 CF driveshaft off ebay. Seller said it had been on the car for less than 300 miles, the CV boot seals and everything look brand new so I believe this to be true.

However I did find this one spot on the shaft that has a little scrape, maybe from when it was removed. It doesn't go into the carbon fibers and appears to be just the exterior clear coat that is damaged. This is still consider okay to use and not structurally compromised right?

Publication1.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you repost this because not many people in that subforum have CF driveshafts, or because they didn't give you the answer you were hoping for?

upload_2018-4-18_12-45-52.png

upload_2018-4-18_12-42-51.png

upload_2018-4-18_12-43-5.png

merkyworks

Established Member
Did you repost this because not many people in that subforum have CF driveshafts, or because they didn't give you the answer you were hoping for?

The best I can tell only one person that answered actually has a 13/14 CF driveshaft, so yes my statement was accurate. Also clearly stated I posted this in the other GT500 forum.

3 screen shots, yeah....Troll much?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The best I can tell only one person that answered actually has a 13/14 CF driveshaft, so yes my statement was accurate. Also clearly stated I posted this in the other GT500 forum.

3 screen shots, yeah....Troll much?

As far as you can tell, eh? Well I've had 3 of them, if that counts.

It's not so much the carbon fiber driveshaft, it's the carbon fiber in general. It's how it's made. Go do a few 4500rpm dumps and let us know how it goes.

As far as troll goes....no. You asked, I answered. You didn't like the answers you were getting, EVEN the picture of the FoMoCo carbon fiber driveshaft that clearly states "scrap if dropped", so you decided to hope for better answers in a different subforum.

Hopefully you get the answers you're looking for, but at the end of the day, whoever tells you to put it on and run it, WILL NOT be there when you're picking up the pieces. I see no reason to not send it back to the original owner.

EDIT: Thought: The seller told you about the damage, you brushed it off as not a big deal. You bought it at a substantially discounted price over what a new, in tact CF driveshaft would cost, then once you got it, you started having second thoughts.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would not run that. Every CF DS has a sticker on it that says scrap if dropped.

If you are hell bent on running it, call up QA1 and ask if they can take it and test it (I have no idea if they do but it's worth a shot).

merkyworks

Established Member
EDIT: Thought: The seller told you about the damage, you brushed it off as not a big deal. You bought it at a substantially discounted price over what a new, in tact CF driveshaft would cost, then once you got it, you started having second thoughts.

No, seller described it as "perfect condition" so I had no reason second guess anything, clearly that is not the case.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The area circled in red, inside the larger red circle concerns me, it almost looks like an impact zone. Notice the damaged clear coat that surrounds it and radiates from it.
I could very well be wrong, but I wouldn't buy it for my car.

Publication1.jpg

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
If the seller said it was in perfect condition I'd check with him on shipping insurance, may have been damaged during shipping

BlowerMan

Established Member
Nope, no good. Lots of experience with cf shafting. Sorry, not the answer you want. If you do run it, at least when it explodes it won’t destroy your car. Probably.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, seller described it as "perfect condition" so I had no reason second guess anything, clearly that is not the case.
Time to send pictures and send it back.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread