SCT Tuner recommendations?

VeryTALONted

Established Member
My old man has a modded 03 Lightning with what feels like a governor on it around 95 mph.

Kicker is, it was custom tuned a few years back with an SCT tuner by a local speed shop.

When 95ish happens, the truck almost feels like it is downshifting and then upshifting back and forth, in a violent fashion. We think the 'custom' tune has the default 100 mph governor still in place. But I am open to other ideas of what it might be.

Now I know that this truck is capable of speeds higher than 95-ish mph stock, and this one is modded with a crack pulley (13 psi), JLP intake, and Flowmaster cat back (and the 'custom' tune via the SCT).

So can I get an online tuner to write us a new tune that takes into account the mods already one the truck and email it to me, and if so... who?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback....

VeryTALONted

Established Member
Have you gone back to the local tuner?

The local tuner went out of business some years ago.... I told my dad to go back once he noticed it stopping at 95-100mph... but he is shy of the 'new' fangled computers on vehicles and also the fast talking speedsters at this shop were not very hospitable either, so he never did. I was in the military and stationed away from him at the time. So he has just lived with it... but man, this truck can get to 100 quick.

Does the truck have an X3 or an X4 SCT handheld tuner? IF yes, then a quick online search for Lightning tuners will result those that will do remote/email tuning. Not sure whose names are and not permitted on this site so here is what GOOGLE says.

remote email lightning tuners - Google Search

He is rocking an older SCT X3 handheld.

Do you have any personal experience with any online guys?

My first instinct was to search but all I came up with was sites trying to sell me a new tuner.

I think his 'build' and mods are pretty standard in the Lightning community, surely a tune for this setup has already been used and sent to folks? So I don't think a custom dyno tune is needed (read: $$$), right?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
In no particular order JDM, JJ (woodbine performance?), JLP, Eric Korn (FB groups, think I have the name right) to name a few

Black 2000

Boss Hoss
Established Member
The local tuner went out of business some years ago.... I told my dad to go back once he noticed it stopping at 95-100mph... but he is shy of the 'new' fangled computers on vehicles and also the fast talking speedsters at this shop were not very hospitable either, so he never did. I was in the military and stationed away from him at the time. So he has just lived with it... but man, this truck can get to 100 quick.

He is rocking an older SCT X3 handheld.

Do you have any personal experience with any online guys?

My first instinct was to search but all I came up with was sites trying to sell me a new tuner.

I think his 'build' and mods are pretty standard in the Lightning community, surely a tune for this setup has already been used and sent to folks? So I don't think a custom dyno tune is needed (read: $$$), right?

I still use an X3. There is a particular model of the X3 though that SCT no longer supports.
SCT X3 / SF3 ,Now not supported

First things first though have you done all the general maintenance to the truck and checked all the vacuum lines and fittings?

2nd Gen maintenance procedures. *NEW OWNERS GET IN HERE!*

If all maintenance mentioned in the thread above has been completed then I would move onto getting the tune looked at. Reason I say to get the above done is that you can find busted up or faulty parts that will effect any and all tunes. Gotta have the correct hardware for the software. :)

I would recommend reaching out to either Eric Korn or JJ at Woodbine as mentioned above.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I wouldn't think it would be limiter related- usually those feel like it just loses power. But it's hard to diagnose something by feel over the internet.

If you're not completely set on SCT you might also hit up decipha(efidynotuning). He does stellar work.

Dusten

Established Member
Call JJ at woodbine motorsports.
I'd recommend Eric korn but he has some family issues and is behind the curve.

Users who are viewing this thread