secondary timing chain tensioner

Col B

Has anyone had this procedure done on their 2020 gt500? I tried to inspect mine with a mirror but I can't see it with the oil filler tube in place, even with a mirror it's too deep and I can't angle the mirror enough to see the tensioner. I don't want to break the tube trying to twist it off. It seems easy enough to look at the tensioner based all the information I have found but I cant see it. Must be my old eyes. Went to the dealer, the kid was not informed at all. Told me I had to have the water pump removed to repair it....... ha ha ha ha ha. Did not even know there was a simple procedure to check and see if the tensioner was activated. I left immediately.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Has anyone had this procedure done on their 2020 gt500? I tried to inspect mine with a mirror but I can't see it with the oil filler tube in place, even with a mirror it's too deep and I can't angle the mirror enough to see the tensioner. I don't want to break the tube trying to twist it off. It seems easy enough to look at the tensioner based all the information I have found but I cant see it. Must be my old eyes. Went to the dealer, the kid was not informed at all. Told me I had to have the water pump removed to repair it....... ha ha ha ha ha. Did not even know there was a simple procedure to check and see if the tensioner was activated. I left immediately.

Took mine in last week. They should be able to see if your car falls in the affected batch by vin#, believe they referenced a 21B as being the recall

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
20210523_123204.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
Rotates freely.

Dang, I thought I figured out why they may be rotating the shoe 90 deg, other than it makes the installation of the secondary cam chain and sprockets easier.

That still leaves open the question on how do they set the assembly to an unlocked position so it can be activated?

Snoopy49

Established Member
The piston rotates as it wants in its own bore too.

So they would have to rotate the piston 90 deg before they could push down to actuate the tensioner? The only thing that would work is a very small pair of vise grips, like the type you would use on a points type distributor.

Col B

Bought a simple but effective endoscope camera for $29 from amazon with a 90 degree mirror attachment. Worked great, my tensioner is activated per the Tech Order Now all I have to do is find a ford dealer that has a clue to do a 15 second look down the oil fill tube to confirm my findings so I have it on record. Great news that my car needs no work. I have yet to find a ford dealer near me that I trust with it.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Checked mine out today. Was worried since I'm apparently in the build time frame that was affected, but seems I'm good.

gtMUCsQmQrD-BpPEege4S74v7ar_Vy8Tj5ODrGAlF6DEXf81FXyTJnjN3lcku2x1_iRgjGQ=w1666-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread