Self ported blower pic's and numbers

Iron Fist

Established Member
I have the stock plenum off and am getting ready to port match it and clean up the screw bosses, I have modeled the Eaton blower in Solidworks and am currently working on a design, I have a port opening complete and am working on a configuration for the backflow ports, here's a pic.

Sorry it's vague, but i don't want to disclose anything at this time.
Once its tested I'll post results, unfortunately it won't be till the spring.
Roots_Asm.jpg

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Alright the car was dyno'd yesterday and the numbers were

464/532 corrected

I don't know if that's what Strat and I wanted but still good numbers for free. The max timing was 20.5 I believe and the a/f ratio iwas around 11.7ish. This was achieved with the exact same pullies that he already had. 2.76/2lb lower. IAT's at the end of the run with this combo were somewhere in the 120's. After this Strat changed out his lower for a 4lb(Special thanks to Lee Blankenship for letting Strat do this inside Lee's shop to save money:rockon:!) Then we made pulls with the 2.76/4lb lower. Max boost was right around 19 with it bleeding off to around 16 at the end of the pull. The numbers did not improve at all with this. We guessed the blower was being overspun. IAT's at the end of that pull were around 165degrees. Strat or I will post the graphs Monday. I'm not done yet with my ports so I'm going to keep trying. Stay tuned for the next one. My blower is coming off this week and I'm doing more to it.

Strat's car has my ported stock tb and plenum and maybe I need more work on that:shrug:. Plus he has a catted x-pipe. So maybe that helped with the torque. If anyone has any help just post it. We need to figure this out. I want to get the hp numbers up more.

Strat's switching to a 2.93/4lb lower combo so maybe that will bring the hp up a little. It seems that actually might be the best blower pulley combo.
Posi

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
IMO you may have left a little on the table by not enlarging the transition area from the inlet to the rotors. Material can be removed on both sides and in between the rear rotor bearing areas, and in the "roof" area above the rotors (you may have done the latter, I can't really tell by the pics). Just some food for thought for your next attempt!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You're right YGETV8 I definately need to get more aggressive with removing some material. On that thought I'd like to keep it as simple as possible also so anyone can do this. Right now I'm thinking that maybe the port on the tb plenum wasn't good enough and that it might actually need to be welded and recut in some areas. We would've tried my ported Accufab but we didn't take it off of my car. I'm really at a loss for words because I really thought this thing was going to make power. Maybe if Strat does go with a 2.93/4lb lower it might pick up a little hp. There was a little room to go with the tune but we're sure it wouldn't have been much. Strat if/when you get that 2.93 upper to go with the 4lb lower then we'll slap my Accufab on there for before and after numbers of the TB/Plenum switch and see what that does. I'm a competitive guy in case you all haven't noticed and I still have full intentions of figuring this thing out! Now I just have to find more places to cut and like YGETV8 said there's only so many places left to do so.

For everyone that wants to bash thanks for not doing so in here!:beer:

posi:-D

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm really starting to wonder if the ported stock tb plenum was one of the main problems. This blower maxed out power wise before the other one I did and it has a much better port on it. Which makes me believe the plenum might have been holding it back:shrug:. Hopefully next time we can try mine(ported accufab) or maybe Strat will have a different one by then.

Also my blower is coming off this week and I'm going to do more to it now. After doing this one and racking my brain I'm going to do everything possible to it that I can with the machines/skills that I have. I'm making "at least" one plate that's getting welded in:eek:. After that I'll find a way to get it dyno'd or some track numbers. One of the two and hopefully both on the same car:beer:. It might be to much for someone with just a hand grinder but either way I'm doing it now. Hopefully after doing this to mine and working probably on one other one (probably Strat's again) then I'll be done and we'll have some answers/pictures. This is getting old but I'm not going to stop until I get good numbers!:beer:

posi:-D

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Alright the car was dyno'd yesterday and the numbers were

464/532 corrected

I don't know if that's what Strat and I wanted but still good numbers for free. The max timing was 20.5 I believe and the a/f ratio iwas around 11.7ish. This was achieved with the exact same pullies that he already had. 2.76/2lb lower. IAT's at the end of the run with this combo were somewhere in the 120's. After this Strat changed out his lower for a 4lb(Special thanks to Lee Blankenship for letting Strat do this inside Lee's shop to save money:rockon:!) Then we made pulls with the 2.76/4lb lower. Max boost was right around 19 with it bleeding off to around 16 at the end of the pull. The numbers did not improve at all with this. We guessed the blower was being overspun. IAT's at the end of that pull were around 165degrees. Strat or I will post the graphs Monday. I'm not done yet with my ports so I'm going to keep trying. Stay tuned for the next one. My blower is coming off this week and I'm doing more to it.

Strat's car has my ported stock tb and plenum and maybe I need more work on that:shrug:. Plus he has a catted x-pipe. So maybe that helped with the torque. If anyone has any help just post it. We need to figure this out. I want to get the hp numbers up more.

Strat's switching to a 2.93/4lb lower combo so maybe that will bring the hp up a little. It seems that actually might be the best blower pulley combo.
Posi

Those numbers are close to mine and I have the stock X-pipe.

CobraRyan

Banned
im thinking about swaping my 2.75 for a 2.93 to see if i can pick up a little more HP...how much torque do you guys think i will loose by doing this??

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I figured I'd follow the same angle that Eaton gave us to follow the rotors. When mine comes off this time I think I might just make the stock design larger though. I haven't made up my mind yet. Plus I have other ideas for the bottom of the case.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Small hint for my blower that's coming back off of my car.

If you can see anywhere (I do mean anywhere!) in this picture that doesn't help with airflow it's getting a plate put in and welded in place!

Last edited:

Iron Fist

Established Member
I have thought about doing the same, including extending the side walls to the bottom of the outlet port base, my only concern is that those areas would be at atmospheric pressure under boost and I wonder if that could have any negative effects.

Iron Fist

Established Member
One other thought, the volume of air that the cylinders have to draw from will be slightly decreased and this could potentially have a significant impact on performance. I think I would just spot weld the plates in for initial testing, that way they can be easily removed if it doesn't go well.

Last edited:

silvercobramike

Established Member
I dont want to threadjack but this thread kind of motivated me to do mine myself. Here are pictures of my ported TB I did today. I bought a steg from Kirks50 (did the FAQ on blower removal) and he had to keep his ported tb. Im not done polishing it.

port4.jpg

port3.jpg

port2.jpg

Port1.jpg

This was done with a grind wheel, and high grade sanding pad on a grinder, I worked 800 grit paper on it then 1000, and im working on 2000 grit now.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
^2.93/4lb lower combo, 1 5/8 Kooks Lt's, Kooks o/r x-pipe, borla exhaust, NGKtr6 plugs, K&N FIPK, ported Accufab TB, ported Accufab Plenum, C&L inlet pipe. That's about it for more hp mod's. Then all the fuel mod's Big Air, 60lb. inj.'s, SCT X-cal.....

DUDE! Do you have the regular borla or the stingers? If you have regular borla do you have any sound clips as I am dying to here regular borla and kooks! Since I have steeda which is pretty much the same as the regular borla...

sorry for being off topic

Users who are viewing this thread