Self ported blower pic's and numbers

silvercobramike

Established Member
Polished up now...

portpol.jpg

RussZTT

Established Member
Still learning on the ported Eaton process but I have a maybe stupid question, the 2 oval ports on each side of the main opening of the bottom of the blower, why not make them little larger, or just polishing up whats there?

RussZTT

Established Member
Silvercobramike. I know you can' actually port the stock TB because of the size of the butterflys, so did you just polish up whats there basically?

silvercobramike

Established Member
Mostly just take off that little nub and take down the rough casting that is on the openings. I did not touch where it was smooth at the butterflys with anything less than 2000 grit to avoid roughing it up.

RussZTT

Established Member
Mostly just take off that little nub and take down the rough casting that is on the openings. I did not touch where it was smooth at the butterflys with anything less than 2000 grit to avoid roughing it up.
You did a great job on that! I wonder if you will see any gains from that. I would be interested in trying this. :beer:

Iron Fist

Established Member
Still learning on the ported Eaton process but I have a maybe stupid question, the 2 oval ports on each side of the main opening of the bottom of the blower, why not make them little larger, or just polishing up whats there?

Thats not a stupid question; they are backflow ports, what happens is that some of the air actually flows back to the incoming air charge. The incoming charge is at atmospheric pressure (14.7psi), a stock Eaton operates at 8psi (atmospheric pressure + 8psi; so infact the manifold pressure is 22.7 psi)

The manifold pressure is not really constant though it would appear to be, it actually fluctuates and by reducing the fluctuation via the back flow ports the in coming air charge can be closer to the manifold pressure reducing wear and stress on the rotors and bearings.

This is why twins screw designs are far superior and more quiet, the screw compresses the incoming charge to almost match the operating pressure.

When the supercharger whines, you are actually hearing the air flow back,
so if you really want a supercharger to perform the key is to make it quieter.

silvercobramike

Established Member
I called Steg this morning and they wanted $30 plus shipping just port w/o a polish. The lady I talked to said its minimal (1-2 whp) but my TB was very dirty when I took it off. Im just looking for better throttle response. I am going to do the same thing to my ported plenum tmw.

RussZTT

Established Member
Thats not a stupid question; they are backflow ports, what happens is that some of the air actually flows back to the incoming air charge. The incoming charge is at atmospheric pressure (14.7psi), a stock Eaton operates at 8psi (atmospheric pressure + 8psi; so infact the manifold pressure is 22.7 psi)

The manifold pressure is not really constant though it would appear to be, it actually fluctuates and by reducing the fluctuation via the back flow ports the in coming air charge can be closer to the manifold pressure reducing wear and stress on the rotors and bearings.

This is why twins screw designs are far superior and more quiet, the screw compresses the incoming charge to almost match the operating pressure.

When the supercharger whines, you are actually hearing the air flow back,
so if you really want a supercharger to perform the key is to make it quieter.
Awesome, thank you for the detailed answer :rockon:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
One other thought, the volume of air that the cylinders have to draw from will be slightly decreased and this could potentially have a significant impact on performance. I think I would just spot weld the plates in for initial testing, that way they can be easily removed if it doesn't go well.

You would think that with the lower intake, intercooler, and the blower case itself that would be enough air to supply the cylinders. Maybe I'll just put one plate in for now.

ViciousJay

Established Member
so if i use a dremil at a low speed to rough up the TB and then sand by hand with 800, 1000, 2000 will that work?

ViciousJay

Established Member
You can get the flappers that I posted in the first post in 1/8" also for a dremel.

is the flapper for scuffing or for sanding cuz when i ported the blower i went in with a carbite bit and went ot town on that whore :lol1:

deec73

Established Member
This is a great thread. I like seeing guys try to do shit theirselves instead of paying out the ass for someone else to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread