Selling a car question

Cman01

hello
Established Member
A friend of mine sold a car last year and it was a certain spec (basically fully loaded). I heard from him a week or so ago and he mentioned that the new owner is now selling the car but he has down graded the spec of the vehicle (basically he removed the whole interior and replaced it with a lesser grade interior from the same type of vehicle in a totally different color also). It does not look like he will be mentioning this fact to the possible new purchaser.

So if you were in the market for a car and you found out through your due diligence and not the seller that something significant from it was replaced with something of a lesser value would you have a problem purchasing the car?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most definitely I would if the asking price reflected the higher level trim! The seller could safe legal issues IMO if the new owner discovers what was done and takes him to court. I'm not an attorney, but that IMO is a major non-disclosure issue.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I think it’s a dick move on the seller’s part to not disclose that but in the used car market it’s on the buyer to do their own DD on the vehicle before purchase.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Most definitely I would if the asking price reflected the higher level trim! The seller could safe legal issues IMO if the new owner discovers what was done and takes him to court. I'm not an attorney, but that IMO is a major non-disclosure issue.

Depends on the state...NC is a buyer beware state, meaning it doesn't matter what a seller says to a buyer...the buyer is responsible for doing their diligence.

That being said...is it shady to say it still has all the 3LT or whatever spec interior and sell at full price, knowing it isn't? Yep.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If the seller has pictures BEFORE removing anything, and passes that off as a 3LT yada yada yada... then when the buyer ships it, it turns out they stripped the stuff....seller will get hammered.

But, if seller has pictures AFTER removing everything, and sells it...that's on the buyer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Depends on the state...NC is a buyer beware state, meaning it doesn't matter what a seller says to a buyer...the buyer is responsible for doing their diligence.

That being said...is it shady to say it still has all the 3LT or whatever spec interior and sell at full price, knowing it isn't? Yep.
Thanks for the clarification. This!

If the seller has pictures BEFORE removing anything, and passes that off as a 3LT yada yada yada... then when the buyer ships it, it turns out they stripped the stuff....seller will get hammered.

But, if seller has pictures AFTER removing everything, and sells it...that's on the buyer.
And THIS!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have major issues when people intentionally leave details out when it comes to a description of the for sale ad. And removing and replacing the interior is a significant detail.

Now, I do agree the potential buyer needs to do their part in asking questions and looking at pictures or seeing the car in person if possible. However, not all buyers are knowledgeable when it comes to buying certain cars. I don't know S#!T about a Mercedes AMG or BMW 7 series, for example. So, I really wouldn't know what interior those cars are "supposed" to have. So, unless I specifically ask "is this the original interior?" the owner may not tell me that information on his own. And depending on the year, that's not a question most people ask in my opinion.

For example, when you go to a dealership and look at a used car do you ask "is this the original interior, paint or engine?" Probably not (depending on the year of course). Most people don't ask these types of questions, unless it's a very old car.

My point is, if you go look at a 2015 Mustang GT, I don't think those questions are asked because we assume the vehicle is new and those types of actions have not been done to the car, but if you go look at a 60s, 70s or 80s Mustang then, yes, those questions are asked. Just my point of view though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if he's advertising the car as the full trim on the window sticker at a price that reflects it still having all the OE options then I'd be seriously pissed it's a scum bag move.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
if he's advertising the car as the full trim on the window sticker at a price that reflects it still having all the OE options then I'd be seriously pissed it's a scum bag move.

I agree to a point.

Scumbag all the way, but legally, he/she can sell a pre-owned vehicle however they'd like.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
So I found the ad from the seller on the car. He is listing it as the downgraded spec but no mention of the change in interior. Pics also show the DG interior vs what the car has before.

Prices for used cars have gone up recently and I feel it's listed a tad high so trying to get fully loaded money for this car that is no longer FL?

Not sure how he thinks he can pull this off and yes like everyone says buyers should do their full DD before purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread