SERIOUS outdoor kitchens

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I'm in the middle of shopping for a new pad - 3 car garage, 4 bedroom...blah blah. All I really care for is the garage and the patio, as I spend A LOT of time grilling.

So now, I'm looking at a custom BBQ island...and the grill makers...are very proud of their products. So I'm thinking the island will have storage, sink, Charcoal slide in grill,

-https://www.firemagicstore.com/fire-magic-built-in-grills/fire-magic-charcoal-slide-in-barbecue-grill-with-smoker-hood-30-x-18.html

a natural gas burner

-https://www.firemagicstore.com/fire-magic-built-in-grills/fire-magic-choice-c540i-slide-in-grill.html?mfp=11f-cooking-surface%5B30Ig%3D%3Dw-x-18Ig%3D%3Dd%5D%2C10f-fuel-type%5BnaturalLw%3D%3Dpropane%5D

and a smoker

-https://www.bbqislandinc.com/fire-magic-24s-sm-portable-smoker.html

I'm considering a Kamado Joe/Big Green Egg/Caliber in place of the Fire Magic charcoal grill. I think the BGE would be better for steaks, but I can't rule out doing it on the natural gas burner. Personally, I just think steaks are best with wood fires. I could be wrong, as the Fire Magic tech and build quality looks years more advanced than most consumer gas grills (on paper).

Also considering pizza oven, but for the cost and considering how much pizza I eat, I'm not sure I can justify it.

Any of you guys have experience/usage/comments on the Fire Magic/Coyote high end units? Or outdoor kitchen builds? Just interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
+1

And I get near elections loking at awesome outdoor bar/bbq setups. So I’m here for myself to.

Two of my uncles who live in AZ have serious outdoor kitchens/pools/living spaces. Salt water pool, waterfalls, in ground hot tub, huge seating islands, with built in smokers, large hooded 50”+ grills, fridge, wine cooler, whole yard mist system, electric awnings, etc.

It’s ridiculously impressive. I’ll see if I can get some pictures for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
If you spend time on the patio all of that is mandatory. Along with an outdoor fridge, TV’s, propane plumbed to curb and an outdoor bar.

A built in pizza oven takes it from a great family space to fully blown player status. If you can’t swing it financially, they also make grill top pizza ovens.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
All of this is great provided you will get enough usage out of it. Do you use the deck/patio space often? Do you entertain? What is the life expectancy of those grills? Can you take them with you if you move? Do they increase the value of your home enough to justify $3k in grill expenditures? Or do you just not care?

I don’t grill a ton, so for me, a weber gas grill with a separate charcoal grill is enough for me. We have a pizza oven that goes into the grill that works just fine.

I have a huge backyard patio area with a water fall, gas fireplace and separate fire pit. I chose not to add the outdoor kitchen, but may do so in the future. This shit gets crazy expensive quickly

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Two of my uncles who live in AZ have serious outdoor kitchens/pools/living spaces. Salt water pool, waterfalls, in ground hot tub, huge seating islands, with built in smokers, large hooded 50”+ grills, fridge, wine cooler, whole yard mist system, electric awnings, etc.

It’s ridiculously impressive. I’ll see if I can get some pictures for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do. May force me to hold another “election”

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Do you entertain?
Maybe 8-10 times a year...from friends and family to international coworkers visiting the states

What is the life expectancy of those grills? Can you take them with you if you move?
yes but I consider it a fixed asset. The international co-workers would justify this as a deductible expense. My accountant has already reviewed and agreed with my assessment.

Do they increase the value of your home enough to justify $3k in grill expenditures?
I wish it was only 3k

Or do you just not care?
Financially, I don't

I don’t grill a ton, so for me, a weber gas grill with a separate charcoal grill is enough for me. We have a pizza oven that goes into the grill that works just fine.
Sounds good

I have a huge backyard patio area with a water fall, gas fireplace and separate fire pit. I chose not to add the outdoor kitchen, but may do so in the future.
lawn care is a pain...one of my houses have a gopher issue.

This shit gets crazy expensive quickly
big time

IA Shelby

Established Member
My wife went crazy 3 years ago and built an outdoor space. The key is that I Insisted on having it covered. You start adding up the overhead structure with stone pillars, fireplace, bar, custom flooring, furniture, fans. Lighting. Fridge, grill, walkway, landscaping it was a crazy amount of money. In the end She is happy and my daughter entertains her friends a lot out there so I guess it is worth it. I think we overpaid but I didn’t have time get 10 different bids. We ended up using 3 different contractors to get the different parts completed. I am not going to list the total amount but as Kirks5oh mentioned its gets expensive crazy quick,

lilcoop03

Established Member
I was fortunate enough to purchase my new house with a nice pool house at the pool area. It is around 800sq feet with a full kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom, A/C, heat, tv, etc. We also have a nice pool table in there. The carpet in it is outdoor rated with concrete underneath so coming in wet from the pool to grab a beer or food out of the fridge is no big deal. You can run the A/C in there is you want to cool off inside for a few and watch the race or the game, etc.

As for grilling, my $200 walmart gas grill beside the pool does just fine for me! There is also a small gas grill built into the wall in the mud room (screened in porch) on the back of my house in case you want to grill while its raining or storming.

Cant wait for it to warm up enough to get out there and use the pool and grill every day this summer.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
There are very few things I find more rewarding than hanging out, beveraging, grilling, and swimming in a well sorted outdoor area.

This is what my wife and I would like to do to our porch and downstairs patio.

08D2C9BD-C816-4605-B995-E7D12C19D254.png

08mojo

Established Member
Have you used a big green egg or other ceramic cooker? I get the desire for natural gas/propane out of convenience, but I don't see the extra $5,600 for a charcoal grill and smoker. The BGE can cook over a wide variety of temperatures from cold smoke to searing. Get the propane unit for quick cooks (burgers/dogs) and then add the BGE for everything else. I haven't touched our propane grill in over 8 years since we bought the Egg. I don't usually believe the hype, but it's real with ceramic cookers.

Also, make sure to add a pit controller to the BGE.

Users who are viewing this thread