Seriously Considering V6 for Daily Driver

metaman

Established Member
I bought the 03 cobra new and have daily driven it ever since. It has got 107K miles on it now and runs and handles better than new thanks to the subtle mods done to it by me over the years.

I am starting to become some what over the whole excitement of the car. Yes, it will run high 11's no problem with just basic pulley exhaust, intake, tune. I have done that.

However, the 40-50 bucks a tank has forced by driving habits down the point to where I just granny the car around out of boost trying to stop the bleeding. The bleeding of the bank account from paying for gas that is.

I once upon a time had a car that was just a toy and also had a daily driver. I know that I could do that, but I have become a total minimalist and do not want to have 2 cars to have to lug with me where ever I decide to move to.

I think that it will soon be time to say good buy to my old friend the DSG 03 cobra. I have considered waiting until around new years next year and attempting to find a slightly used 2011 5.0 for somewhere in the mid 20K range if possible and I still might do that. On the other hand, the gas and insurance will still kill me on it.

In comes the option of the 2011 V6. I no longer have a desire to race on the street or at the track because I do not live near and track and have out grown putting my life and others lives at risk on the street. So then other than the occasional gas guzzling blast through the gears, if I where to get a 5.0 it would just be in overdrive most of the time.

If I where to wait until around early next year when there are more and more used 2011 v6 cars around, I could snag one pretty cheap. I would hazard to guess that I could probably get one for 18K or less with about 10K miles on it. That would put me in a car that with a good tune will run low 13's all day, have low insurance payment, low finance payment, low gas payment, and 100x more ergonomic than the 03 cobra.

Call me crazy, but I may very well trade in the 03 cobra early next year for a 2011 v6. Times are changing, and I guess I am going to allow myself to change with them. Honestly, if gas had been 3 bucks a gallon back in 03 when I bought this car I would have never bought it. Gas was 1.50 per gallon back then.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sounds like you've thought it through. If better economy while staying in a Mustang is what you're looking through I think you've got it figured out.

AkronCobra

Established Member
I recently test drove a v6 automatic and was shocked how well the little six ran. Dead off the line with the a6 (GET A MANUAL) but ran right up to the 118 mph limiter. Very nice mustang.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
New V6 is a solid car. I wouldn't mind rocking one if I couldn't keep up with a V8 anymore.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I got rid of my 98 Cobra and got a 2011 V-6 for my wife. The exhaust note isn't as sweet, but everything else is. It pulls just as hard and gets awesome fuel economy.

Users who are viewing this thread