Service Engine Soon Light Is On?

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I just turned 4k on the odometer and today the Service Engine Soon light came on..I was supposed to take it in for its scheduled maintenance about two weeks ago...So, I probably need to bring it into the dealer to let them perform their inspection and clear the codes right? Thanks

-pete:coolman:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
1st, whats mods do u have? Service Engine light is mainly for emission system. Mine came on at 3k but went away in 2 weeks & never came back on. This was with a few weeks of driving with my Exhaust set up.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Ford doesn't have any lights that come on just for the heck of it like that old 80's GM cars had. There is something wrong and it should have written a code that anyone with a OBDII scanner can pull.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
The only mods I have is air silencer, K&N, shifter, and exhaust...Thats all...I cant believe it is serious...I wonder if moving the idle speed up has affected the computer?...Thoughts anyone?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrapete03'
The only mods I have is air silencer, K&N, shifter, and exhaust...Thats all...I cant believe it is serious...I wonder if moving the idle speed up has affected the computer?...Thoughts anyone?

You said exhaust...did you changed the mid-pipe? A lot of catted mid-pipes have been known to trip codes even though they aren't supposed to.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Hi racerat,

No, specifically I only added Spintech mufflers in place of the "stockers"...So I havent even touched the H-pipe or any of the emissions equipment...I wonder if disconnecting the battery might erase the "service light?"...If not, I'll just take it in again as soon as I get a chance...I'm stumped...Thanks

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Stop by an Autozone...they'll pull the code for free.
It's probably not a big deal, but better safe than sorry.
If it's just an O2 sensor code then disconnecting the battery will clear it and it may or may not come back.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Stop by an Autozone...they'll pull the code for free.
It's probably not a big deal, but better safe than sorry.
If it's just an O2 sensor code then disconnecting the battery will clear it and it may or may not come back.
Nevermind autozone, if your still within warranty take it to your dealer, that will be a free visit to and they'll fix it

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
cobrapete,

I wonder if moving the idle speed up has affected the computer?...Thoughts anyone?

That will do it!!!!!

It seems as though these computers don't like too much above 800RPMs or so.

It should be right around 750 to 800.

If this is actually the case, you will probably have a P1506 code.

Dana

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Dana,

Well I upped the idle speed because the car would idle too low for my tastes especially when the cooling fan and air conditioner cycled on together...I guess I'll just back off the idle screw, unplug the battery and see if that works...If not, Ford here I come...Have you personally had this experience before? Thanks

P.S. I checked AutoZone...They have not been able to check the codes here in California for eight months...Some new policy or law I guess...I even checked with multiple AutoZones just to make sure I wasnt talking to the wrong person the first time...The story seems to jive...

Last edited:

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
unhook the GND from the car battery, hook it back up. if the light doesn't come back on it was just a fluke. if it does come back on... O2 sensors? i'm sure there are a # of things that could cause this.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Pete,
It would idle too low? What was it running at? Where is it idling now?
The computer should compensate for the fan and A/C loading and restore the idle to spec (it takes a second or so for the PCM to react though), provided everything is functioning properly. If it was dying when they started up, then you have a service issue for the dealer to fix.

Like I said, they don't like much above 800 or so.

Yes, I had problems after I installed the T/B on my car. I had adjusted the idle a little too high initially and pulled that code.

Try clearing the code by disconnecting the battery as mentioned earlier. Then try reseting the idle to where it was or around 750. It is a pain in the ass to get these just right sometimes, ask Doug at BilletFlow!!! You will probably have to disconnect the IAC to get it right when doing the screw adjustment.
He has some directions if you need them.
The screw you adjusted is not meant to adjust the idle speed. It is to control the closed position of the throttle plate. The IAC (little silver thing on top of the plenum) and the PCM actually control the idle speed.

If you plan on modding this car at all, you might as well buy a code scanner. You'll be seeing that light regularly.

Without the actual code number, the light could be being caused by many things. It was just that you mentioned the idle adjustment and it is a place to start.

Good luck,

Dana

SVT4ME

Established Member
Don't mess with it and take it too the dealer. Fluke or not it came on and have the warrenty handle it. Autozone will run the code.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Well I turned down the idle to about 750...Then disconnected the battery (GD) for about 10 minutes...Reconnected GD...Let the car idle for a couple minutes (No Service Engine Soon Light) then took the car out for about 7 higher revving miles...Then to a drive-thru where it idled fine at about 750 or so...then I beat the piss out of it backhome and no "Service Engine Soon Light" so far...I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for everyones input...Hopefully this is the last of that annoying message...

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Might not be over just yet. Mine did that for about 3 weeks. OFF & ON & OFF & ON & OFF .... then it never came back on.

Good Luck.

Scobra03

Established Member
just thought i would add something,,when i got my mufflers welded in the guy removed my o-2 sencers ?..i ask why he said if they weld while they are installed it can ruin them...just something to look at?? if the light came on right after??...jeff...

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
The light came on after having the idle turned up for less than two days...So I believe that is the problem with no further issues so far...The mufflers have been on the car for almost two weeks before this all started so I dont think 02s were damaged due to welding...but thanks for the advice...I'll keep you all updated on the situation...Thanks again

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Well its been almost three days since my car had the "light" come on...Since resetting the computer I've taken the car almost 100 miles of city and freeway driving and no light to speak of...I'll keep my fingers crossed...Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread