SES/MIL/CEL on PO353 help

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I have a service engine soon light on. The code being thrown is PO353 which is a coil circuit failure/short
Ignition signal coil fault it has been popping up between 3 and 5 times. The light stayed on consistently so I took it to my tuner.
I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Here is a link with more information on the code:

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) - P0353 IGNITION SIGNAL COIL C FAULT

I recently had the car tuned at the end of November, I am running E-85, I gapped the spark plugs down to 25/1000ths and put it all back together, this is all pretty straight forward. Put plugs in, put coils on top of plugs, make sure they are snug, put coil covers back on and put bolts in.
The car has a small cold start issue which I'm pretty sure is in the tune, nothing serious.. just takes a little longer to fire up in the cold weather with the E-85, but I have had no problem getting it to start.

I talked to the tuner today, the car is still out at his shop, for two days now which is not a big deal and he said he thinks the cold start issue and the Code being thrown may be related.
I drove the car for a week or so between the final tune and when the SES light came on, nothing crazy not any racing or extreme beatings and the light came on. I'm not sure what happened or what is going on with it but I am trying to figure it out.
The car had very little sputter/misfire, it was running okay but the tuner has had it and says sometimes it runs a bit rough but other times there is no sign of trouble.

If anyone has any suggestions or has dealt with this before feel free to chime in.
I didn't know what to do so I took it to my tuner hoping he could take care of it, I didn't see anything visually that was off or like it could be bad.
I don't have any electronic testing equipment or a ton of knowledge in this subject so take it easy on me :shrug:

Any information is much appreciated! :beer:

-Joe

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Did you go through and check this stuff?

· Backed-out terminals.
· Improper mating.
· Broken locks.
· Improperly formed.
· Damaged terminals.
· Poor terminal-to-wire connections.
· Physical damage to the wiring harness.

Bad connections are not the easiest thing in the world to track down.

Techs often have to check the resistance of each wire with an ohm meter.

Users who are viewing this thread