Settling Accident w.o Insurance Issue

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Here's the situation. Someone I know got into a minor fender bender (she sent me a picture of the other car, dinged rear bumper cover Nissan Rogue). They agreed to exchange information and settle out of insurance. I guessed like $1500 from the pic (I'll upload later), well they person calls her today and sends her an estimate for $3,200. From the estimate they are removing and reinstalling the tailgate, quarter panel removed painted and reinstalled, replacing the bumper cover and paint, frame straightening list goes on. Seems pretty obvious a lot of extra BS in there to drive up the price. Not really sure the speed but judging by the situation decribed probably like 15 mph. The other driver was a young girl too so not sure if the body shop is trying to take advantage of the driver hit, or that driver is trying to take advntage of my friend.

So I'm pretty convinced they have a friend at a body shop writting this up, probably doing half the work, (just painting and replacing the bumper cover) and pocketing the rest. I don't really know what to tell her in terms of options besided just paying it. Can't really force them to get a second estimate.

I don't think claiming if on insurance but if that driver is quoting $3,200 then probably $1,500-$2,000 to fix her's too... She's an early 30's female (have to state she = female these days) so I don't know how much her rates would jump.

Thoughts, I've only ever been hit never hit anyone so not familiar with this situation?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
they need to take it to a reputable shop for a quote. Thats what we require when having them go get a quote and usually 2 quotes at that. If they refuse then it's best to get the insurance involved.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
they need to take it to a reputable shop for a quote. Thats what we require when having them go get a quote and usually 2 quotes at that. If they refuse then it's best to get the insurance involved.

Was a real shop it seems, I think two quote would be more fair.

My94GT

Established Member
With out pics it’s hard to know. I run a shop for a living and more often then not supplements are needed and all of what you mentioned does not sound out of the scope of a normal repair.

my advice to customers is always use insurance. My average RO amount is 2600 and up.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I don't work at a body shop but $3200 seems pricey. Plus repaintingbthe quarter which was obviously untouched. Frame straightening and wheel alignment??

Attachments

• 37988.jpeg
    37988.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 167

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Quote, not sure why looking like that they're taking the rear quarter glass out??

Attachments

• 38001.jpeg
    38001.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 38000.jpeg
    38000.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 124

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Give them the name of a shop that you know will give them a fair price. If they don’t, tell them you refuse to pay it.

Cobra1776

Established Member
That my friend is one overwritten estimate based off that one photo.I do work for an insurance company, worked for a large body shop also and have dealt with body shops etc for 20 years... unless they have that bumper off and photos of the rear body, quarter panel damage.. I call BS. It may have supplemental damage, in which some of it may be plausible but without additional photos hard to tell.

My94GT

Established Member
I don't work at a body shop but $3200 seems pricey. Plus repaintingbthe quarter which was obviously untouched. Frame straightening and wheel alignment??
Ok based on the estimate Vs the photo, I don’t see the lift gate repair. The whee alignment and test drive fee seems excessive. I don’t charge to test drive, and generally with out a direct impact to suspension or a wheel insurance companies don’t cover an alignment

with out pictures of the bumper off I don’t know what to say of the quarter panel damage, rear body damage, and rebar damage. I will say there appears to be no damage to the quarter panel above the bumper on the visible area of the panel so they could reduce paint time but most don’t unless the insurance negotiates that.

I would tell your friend or who ever it was to just call their insurance. The insurance can mitigate it now and the shop can justify their quote with them.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Don't do it, let the insurance co. handle it.
If you do decide it settle off the books make sure you have an iron clad release of liability. Otherwise there is nothing stopping the other party from suing your friend for additional damage her friends body shop found or suing your friend because it's worth less when they go to trade it in 2 years from now because it's been in an accident.
The good old days are over for good, trust no one.

Bronze123

Established Member
this sounds dirty and I would get insurance involved. Unless they has a good reason, but a million ways this could end of bad.

it’s a 2015 rogue. Sounds like they’re trying to fix the whole damn rear of the car and than some. It honestly looks like a rear bumper cover and nothing more. My one guess is they wrote the dream estimate, and will pitch it to insurance. Something this shop does by habit. I am Guessing that on the customer pays/ insurance pays portion on this estimate.

My94GT

Established Member
Also another thing to keep in mind, more so for the car involved, those rogues have a 1 piece rear gate. The trim panel is bonded to it from the factory. When we replace them they literally come as a whole unit with glass and painted silver.

if there are cracks in the shell of the gate from the impact it should not be repaired. That would cause a huge price jump. Just another reason to let insurance pay out.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thank you all for the advice, she is trying to avoid insurance so she doesn't have an accident on her title. It's a low mile 2019 so kinda sucks. Seems like sliding down a slippery slope and going through proper channels will save big headaches and possible legal trouble down the road. I told her, you're paying one way or another the short term rate hike is just paying it off over time. Plus I think she has accident forgiveness, see how that works out. Just wanted other opnions so I didn't steer her wrong, like I said never really been on this side of an accident in my 18 years of driving so I don't know the smart move.

Why go to a "professional" when I have you guys right *cough* cough* KingBlack *cough* always get reasonable feedback when you're not a douchebag.

My94GT

Established Member
Thank you all for the advice, she is trying to avoid insurance so she doesn't have an accident on her title. It's a low mile 2019 so kinda sucks. Seems like sliding down a slippery slope and going through proper channels will save big headaches and possible legal trouble down the road. I told her, you're paying one way or another the short term rate hike is just paying it off over time. Plus I think she has accident forgiveness, see how that works out. Just wanted other opnions so I didn't steer her wrong, like I said never really been on this side of an accident in my 18 years of driving so I don't know the smart move.

Why go to a "professional" when I have you guys right *cough* cough* KingBlack *cough* always get reasonable feedback when you're not a douchebag.

also keep in mind many things impact the rate increases. Cost of repairs, accident history, any injury claims associated with the loss. The rate spike would likely be so minimal she wouldn’t feel it monthly vs an initial blow of 3-4K.

the reality is the person she hit has no responsibility to get other quotes and the only way your friend could fight it is by going to court but it would be an uphill battle since she has no working knowledge of the industry. Or she’d have to hire a lawyer and then there is even more expense

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
also keep in mind many things impact the rate increases. Cost of repairs, accident history, any injury claims associated with the loss. The rate spike would likely be so minimal she wouldn’t feel it monthly vs an initial blow of 3-4K.

the reality is the person she hit has no responsibility to get other quotes and the only way your friend could fight it is by going to court but it would be an uphill battle since she has no working knowledge of the industry. Or she’d have to hire a lawyer and then there is even more expense

Yeah, talked about it last night think she's just going the safe route and going through insurance, just makes sense. Think the rate hike if any will be minimal and worth covering ones self from future BS. Opening up a can of worms otherwise. Thank you all again for the info.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, talked about it last night think she's just going the safe route and going through insurance, just makes sense. Think the rate hike if any will be minimal and worth covering ones self from future BS. Opening up a can of worms otherwise. Thank you all again for the info.

I wouldn't really sweat it.
Long story short with some details redacted cause it may not be settled*
I was involved in an accident and as far as I know it is still labeled as an uninsured driver hit me. After hospital visit/some PT my medical costs for me and my wife was around 8-9k(CTs and then future MRI).

My rates haven't gone up and have even dropped. And I'm going on to my 3rd 6 month renewal with said insurance company.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Can you post or send me other pictures of the damage? I'm an autobody estimator and have dealt with these types of repairs plenty of times and probably over 100 repairs on these model year Rogues specifically. I wrote and oversaw repairs on tons of them with this exact damage.

And tell her not to pay shit. If it is not going through insurance than she has plenty of rights to get a fair assessment of the damage. If the other driver doesn't agree then tell her not to pay shit until it is taken to a neutral shop and I would meet the driver there at the shop while they do the estimate. A 15mph hit isn't going to do that much damage so if it did then it was a much faster hit. A 15mph hit could barely damage the rear bumper bar. If the other driver gets feisty about it then tell your friend to respond by saying she is going to submit it to her insurance to deal with it then. She has options to make this girl be honest and make sure she doesn't pay more than she should have to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread