SFI Bellhousing?

braindontstop31

Established Member
Hello,

I tried to use the search function but it will not show me any results.? I am getting ready to install my RXT and 26 spline input shaft and was wondering if it would be a good idea to go ahead and install a SFI Bellhousing. Anyway question is Does anybody mess with using Quicktime or Mcleod SFI bellhousings?
Just curious who runs a aftermarket Bellhousing and if you had any issues installing it. Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im not sure what other options there are outside of the two you mentioned. The fun on these cars is trying to index the bellhousing since there are no offset dowels available to us. Theres some work involved in trying to get one of these things true/lined up. If you do a search on indexing/index bellhousing you should pull up some good threads

braindontstop31

Established Member
NO offset dowel pins? Why not? my friend used some on his WS6 t56.

Everytime I try to search last couple of days I am getting this.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
indexing/index, bellhousing

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya its not option for us, I was surprised.

if you use google you can search SVTP from there. Theres also thread over on modular fords i think it is.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you havent noticed most people will spend endlessly on go fast but not so much on safety stuff...hell, pretty sure half the reason people shell out for big braking systems is for bling factor/bragging rights as much as anything.

I will say I havent seen too many catastrophic failures but I saw one that blew up (nobody got hurt) and it took out part of the dash, wiring, transmission and even the engine block.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've had a McLeod in for about 10 yrs now. I put it in when I was bracket racing quite a bit and tech guys were seeing me a lot and started to hassle me about it. Other than slight clearance around the Mac long tubes I had no issues with install. And no I didn't index either. Figured I'd address that issue when and if it came up lol. On a side note I've got a buddy that had a clutch explosion on t-45 equipped car. He jokes about how it missed his leg as it went up into dash. If you're going to drag race often Id recommend but to each his own.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Unless your racing where the rules require a SFI bell housing I would not bother and just use the OEM bell housing. The factory unit is die cast and machined on equipment dedicated to that task. You will have a harder time holding tight tolerances on a deep drawn aftermarket unit I've heard of people having lots of problems getting them to line-up accurately compared to the factory unit. Ask yourself the question: how many clutch explosions have you ever heard of in a street car? I've only seen them in magazines exclusively on drag racers. My friend blew one up at Bonneville from excessive slipping at 250 mph. The aluminum bell housing also has lots of surface area and will help wick away heat off the tranny and engine and is lighter. Your money would be put to better use elsewhere.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you make enough power that a person is thinking about it, you'll only regret not buying it if your clutch buzz saws up and cuts your foot off.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you make enough power that a person is thinking about it, you'll only regret not buying it if your clutch buzz saws up and cuts your foot off.

If you manage to explode your clutch you have no business behind the wheel of that car in the first place.

Who here knows of a single clutch explosion in a street driven Terminator? Anyone?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you manage to explode your clutch you have no business behind the wheel of that car in the first place.

Who here knows of a single clutch explosion in a street driven Terminator? Anyone?

I think most of the guys who get fast and powerful dump the manual and get an auto. I also think anyone over 800 HP and especially 1,000 HP has had a nervous thought or 2. I'm shooting for over 1,000 and squirming some. It would hurt, a lot, if worst case happened.

How does a clutch failure have anything to do with driver? Shit fails, that's the way it is. Why do you think SFI bell housings exist?

Last edited:

robert presti

Established Member
I'm installing a McLeod at the moment. had a few issues. Most of them are because of the long tube headers. One I didn't like was having to open the block plate around the crankshaft opening to fit their flywheel. It is parallel, but just out of spec. That might be because my dowel pins are pretty messed up though in the engine block. The front of the trans dowel pins didn't quite fit into the bellhousing either ,so I ground the holes a little to the out side. Not much more than a few thousands, and this is a used bellhousing that had an adaptor plate for a tko and now I'm just using the t56 opening.

Users who are viewing this thread