Shady dealer.

Lemers

Established Member
So I got an email from a ford dealer

We have a GT500 inbound and we are advertising it for MSRP+$10k so it $79000. We have a reasonable offer on it right now. So what do you say. If you give me a serious offer I could go to our managers right now.

My thoughts

1. He does have an offer from someone but is trying to draw us into a bidding war.
2. He really doesn't have an offer but wants to place some urgency on me to pay too much.

I replied with I'm not in the $10k ADM ballpark but more the MSRP ballpark.

I'm really hating this car search.

mullens

Established Member
He wants a reasonable offer? You gave it to him-MSRP. Anything else tell him to pound sand. These guys kill me.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
My response would be:

"Ford priced the car at $69000 for a reason. There are over 100 of these asking over MSRP sitting on lots across the country. Would you like to pay interest on this car and HOPE that someone pays over sticker? I'm willing to pay you MSRP tomorrow, and secure it with a $2000 deposit right now."

jbs$

Established Member
Chris, good advise, all I would add is if you really want to pressure the salesman, up the deposit offer.

Lemers

Established Member
I'm not playing their game. I'm just putting my name out their, if they have a car I want and same MSRP I have a deposite. I even tell them my trade in. Which they will make more money on.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
This!!! I have read many of your posts and I for one appreciate your input. Thanks!!!!

My response would be:

"Ford priced the car at $69000 for a reason. There are over 100 of these asking over MSRP sitting on lots across the country. Would you like to pay interest on this car and HOPE that someone pays over sticker? I'm willing to pay you MSRP tomorrow, and secure it with a $2000 deposit right now."

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
how does this make him shady? he probably does have some idiot willing to pay that. if you don't want to get into a bidding war don't. but that doesn't make him shady. with the numbers of idiots actually paying over MSRP for these cars it is just business.

So I got an email from a ford dealer

We have a GT500 inbound and we are advertising it for MSRP+$10k so it $79000. We have a reasonable offer on it right now. So what do you say. If you give me a serious offer I could go to our managers right now.

My thoughts

1. He does have an offer from someone but is trying to draw us into a bidding war.
2. He really doesn't have an offer but wants to place some urgency on me to pay too much.

I replied with I'm not in the $10k ADM ballpark but more the MSRP ballpark.

I'm really hating this car search.

Lemers

Established Member
how does this make him shady? he probably does have some idiot willing to pay that. if you don't want to get into a bidding war don't. but that doesn't make him shady. with the numbers of idiots actually paying over MSRP for these cars it is just business.

If you pick option 1 then he made a deal with someone else and is now trying to renig. If you pick option 2 then he's a flat out lier. Either way isnt straight forward and both are shady. If he came out and said "We have a $10k ADM but are willing to negociate" I'd be fine and consider him honest.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you pick option 1 then he made a deal with someone else and is now trying to renig. If you pick option 2 then he's a flat out lier. Either way isnt straight forward and both are shady. If he came out and said "We have a $10k ADM but are willing to negociate" I'd be fine and consider him honest.

I would disagree, he may have an offer from someone but no money has changed hands therefore he has no obligation to hold the car and is merely trying to get the most bucks for the bang. That is what EVERYONE selling something does. not shady at all.

now if he actually has money from the guy who made the offer you would be correct. but I doubt that is the case

jbs$

Established Member
Agree, if you don't want to pay the Dealer's asking price, offer a different one. The Dealer will take it or not. In either case it does not make him a crook. This is America, the land of the soon to be free again!

mullens

Established Member

Maybe shady isn't the right word. How about greedy? Some call it business but he is exploiting the demand for these cars by trying to line his pockets. In doing so, he is preventing someone from having his dream car that may be only able to afford MSRP. As stated, Ford sets MSRP for a reason. I know it happens every day and there is a fool born every minute that will pay the ADM blackmail but it is still bad business IMO.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Maybe shady isn't the right word. How about greedy?
I can accept greedy
Some call it business but he is exploiting the demand for these cars by trying to line his pockets.
so? that is what business is all about. he has a product to sell and will sell to the highest bidder. it is called supply and demand. the fact that there are idiots who are willing to play his game is not his problem nor his fault.
In doing so, he is preventing someone from having his dream car that may be only able to afford MSRP.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: since when is it his responsibility to see that those who want their dream car can afford it? everyone has dreams that don't get fulfilled. Shit I want a viper who do I blame for my not having one?
As stated, Ford sets MSRP for a reason. I know it happens every day and there is a fool born every minute that will pay the ADM blackmail but it is still bad business IMO.
you are certainly entitled to your opinion. if it were "bad business" there wouldn't be people out there willing to pay the ADM. but there are. Shit I want an ST and a lot of dealers are putting an ADM of 2-5k on them. I could easily afford that but choose not to. why? because I won't pay an ADM I don't care how bad I want the car. but I won't deny the dealer his right to be "greedy" and charge one and I will point and laugh at people who cry about it and those that pay it.

He's a car dealer, enough said!!
yeah right.

Lemers

Established Member
Yes this is America and as the consumer I get to decide where I want to spend my money. And I will not spend it at a place where I can't trust their honesty. Even if it is "only business".

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yes this is America and as the consumer I get to decide where I want to spend my money. And I will not spend it at a place where I can't trust their honesty. Even if it is "only business".
it is certainly your right, the only issue I have is that you are calling them dishonest and you have ZERO proof that they have done anything dishonest.

For the record I would make exactly the same decision but for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread