Shelby GT350R-C Debut

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 Shelby GT350R-C Debut Featured.jpg
Competition Prepped
Ford Performance will unleash the Shelby GT350R-C this weekend
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

With a production model that just begs to run wide open on a road course, it was just a matter of time before Ford Performance released a racing version of the vaunted 2015 Shelby GT350R. That model is called the Shelby GT350R-C. The C is obviously for competition and these cars will see their first competitive action at Watkins Glen this weekend.
Continue reading →

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've been waiting to get up close and personal with one of these.

Most notably is the missing CF wheels. This car weakens the argument for the R model

Parts that make sense on a rack day car are not always the best for a race car (which have to be built according to a rule book).

Lemers

Established Member
I've been waiting to get up close and personal with one of these.

Parts that make sense on a rack day car are not always the best for a race car (which have to be built according to a rule book).

You and I know this , but let's be clear. This is a $60k toy car. It's not a family car.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
are these part of the 37 R's for 2015 or did Multimatic start with a body in white?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
This is a race car. Nothing to do with production numbers. It can be ordered just like the race cars of past. IE M-FR500-C, M-FR500-S, M-FR500-CJ, M-Boss302-S, M-Boss302R as examples. Also offered a Focus and Raptor. It's a Ford Performance(FRPP) vehicle. Anyone can order one as long as you have the right credentials(race team and competition license) and are approved to be put on the list to purchase. This is no frills, no interior, race seat, roll cage, no sound deadening material, no sissies allowed race car. For those that don't actually race will not understand why certain items are the way they are. Like wheels, displacement, HP ratings.

Still trying to convince the Wife why we "NEED" another race car....

krt22

Established Member
Most notably is the missing CF wheels. This car weakens the argument for the R model
No it does not, not even close. This is a spec tire racing class, everyone uses the same 275/35/18 tires everyone else in the field (I also question if the stock GT350 brakes will fit under an 18" wheel)

This car also likely won't make the same HP as the production car and will weigh much much less. Can't really compare purpose built race cars to their production counterparts

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
No it does not, not even close. This is a spec tire racing class, everyone uses the same 275/35/18 wheels as everyone else in the field (I also question if the stock GT350 brakes will fit under an 18" wheel)

This car also likely won't make the same HP as the production car and will weight much much less. Can't really compare purpose built race cars to their production counterparts

The engine will likely have a sizable restrictor on it for competition.

Lemers

Established Member
No it does not, not even close. This is a spec tire racing class, everyone uses the same 275/35/18 tires everyone else in the field (I also question if the stock GT350 brakes will fit under an 18" wheel)

This car also likely won't make the same HP as the production car and will weigh much much less. Can't really compare purpose built race cars to their production counterparts

Maybe not for you, but for me it does. If there was a real edge using CF rims then they would be made in the required sizes.

So this tells me several things.

1 the rules specifically does allow CF rims (I haven't looked it up)

2 Durability issues for race conditions. Would I want to use rims ford isn't using for racing? No

3 No real advantage to justify the added the cost of the rims. Again why would I want them.

I'm not getting paid to drive any car so I'm picking a car that I can live with everyday and have fun when I choose to pay for track time.

krt22

Established Member
This is just a single class of racing, so the rules that apply to this class may or may not have any real implication of how/why the cars are built for production and/or other classes and/or all out performance

For this class-we know the following

-the motor will be restricted to reduce HP
-There is a weight limit, in many cases these cars are lightening so much that they have to add back in ballasting to get to minimum race weight, thus there may not be any additional need for weight reduction
-The tire size is 275/35/18, the boss 302R wheels are plenty light in this size (18x10) so there might not have been any benefit to go CF on the smaller wheel. Much less benefit compared to a CF wheel vs a cast 19x11 wheel. Not only that, but getting a handful of 18" CF wheels made compared to the 500+ sets they will need for the CF 350R wheels could be extremely cost prohibitive.
-Durability may be a concern (bug emphasis on MAY), but the needs of a dedicated wheel to wheel race car are much different than any street car or leisure track day car. Again, not really something that you can always draw conclusions from

Here are the rules to see how restrictive it is.

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/uploads/CTSC SCR June 17_0.pdf

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
KRT, thanks for this response without sarcasm. Sometimes I just sit back and scratch my head.

Darth Racer

Established Member
This is just a single class of racing, so the rules that apply to this class may or may not have any real implication of how/why the cars are built for production and/or other classes and/or all out performance

For this class-we know the following

-the motor will be restricted to reduce HP
-There is a weight limit, in many cases these cars are lightening so much that they have to add back in ballasting to get to minimum race weight, thus there may not be any additional need for weight reduction
-The tire size is 275/35/18, the boss 302R wheels are plenty light in this size (18x10) so there might not have been any benefit to go CF on the smaller wheel. Much less benefit compared to a CF wheel vs a cast 19x11 wheel. Not only that, but getting a handful of 18" CF wheels made compared to the 500+ sets they will need for the CF 350R wheels could be extremely cost prohibitive.
-Durability may be a concern (bug emphasis on MAY), but the needs of a dedicated wheel to wheel race car are much different than any street car or leisure track day car. Again, not really something that you can always draw conclusions from

Here are the rules to see how restrictive it is.

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/uploads/CTSC SCR June 17_0.pdf

Why is the 350R-C mandated to use 3.31 gears and it's other Ford and Chevy competitors can use 3.73s?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
They also run shorter tires (~25.5" tall) than stock and will weigh 3350lbs. 3.73 gears may not be optimal in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread