Shelby widebody & performance

GT350pwns

Established Member
I'm considering (mind you it will be a long time in the making) a jump to the Shelby wide body and just want to start gathering all the information I can as early as I can.

I understand that you can fit 13 in wide rear wheels and 11 or 12 in wide front wheels. The main question I have is the cornering capability of a car with this kit. Will the widening of the car have any adverse effects on the performance of the vehicle in the twisties? I like to run auto x on occasion and would like to get into HPDE days at some point in time with the vehicle. I LOVE how the kit looks, but do not want to sacrifice function for form.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit as far as installation costs (I would say I know my way around a vehicle, but I'm damn near clueless when it comes to paint and body).

Any information regarding this kit and possible impacts on the performance of the vehicle are greatly appreciated.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
I don't have the Shelby kit so I can't speak about that in particular, but APR is a aerodynamically engineered kit, meaning they specifically build it not just to get big wide fenders, but with a functional front splitter for downforce, and an optional rear wing which I opted out for since it's primarily a street/show car for now.

Wider wheels and wider tires mean more grip, there's no downside in the corners unless you go with a cheap tire of course. With nice lightweight wheels and grippy tires it will still be an improvement. I personally run 20x10.5 and 20x12, but I could technically go wider, I just didn't see the need to.

Installation cost is hefty, really hefty. Though I don't have experience with the shelby kit I'm assuming it's the same process, but expect body work and paint to be between $7,000-$9,000 for a GOOD job. I'm sure cheap shops can do it for less but it'll look like crap.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We've got a widebody here at the shop.

You can put like a 13" wide 335 tire on the back which is pretty cool.

I havent went out and driven it hard but from what the customer tells me it handles really well.

smittybat

Established Member
Ran into this widebody on the Shelby tour in LV a few weeks ago.
1375867_10152838230751730_2448944166282438962_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread