Shift light? ... a REAL one.

Bosko

Established Member
I know this is an old post.... But I just ran it to this little confusion with the Autometer 9117 tach adapter.... You need cut into pin #34 (SOLID RED Wire) in the harness under hood passenger side on the firewall.... The big square one with the 10mm Bolt in the center. Like someone said above, Cut the wire BEFORE the Coils.

I wanted to post which exact PIN # it was so if someone searches for it they can have an answer.

Silver 03 Cobra

Bosko, can you are anybody else see my pics above of the shift light and terminal above in one of my posts? I have these pic's. on Yahoo. I see them here at work. I can't figure out why my snow pic's. wouldn't work.

Bosko

Established Member
No I dont see em..... Lots of the time certian Hosts will not let your LINK a file DIRECTLY. They dont want to be a storage depot for stuff.... But I dunno..

ubenbit

Established Member
I am currently researching both the Raptor Shift Light and the Autometer Quick-Lite Shift light. I seem to be leaning more towards the Autometer setup (like the looks of it) however, if there is anyone out there who has had the opportunity to experiment with both setups, let me know if one or the other is best suited for the 03' cobras. also does anyone have detailed pics and instuctions on the Autometer Quick-Lite Shift Light setup?

Bosko

Established Member
Do a search in the 03 cobra forum for "raptor" and then do one for "autometer shift". There should be a bunch on them or probably everything you ever wanted to know about the two. There are part numbers and wiring pictures and mounting pictures.

I went with the autometer route. You need the tach adapter, rpm activated module and the shift light.

I belive the raptor you only need the light its self. Its a lot eayser to install and probably 1/2 the cost.

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
If I did it over again, I'd get the Raptor. Note that this is only based on what I've heard and read about it. It doesn't need NEARLY as much hardware to make it work. And sometimes less is good. ;-)

4D THNDR

Established Member
I've got the Raptor, simple to install, simple to program and mainly I've stopped bumping the rev limiter.:beer:

sn8kbite

Established Member
I installed the motorsports tach since it says FORD in th center:)
I also had to install a driver,but they also told me they could send the tach into autometer and have it reprogramed so i didnt need a driver.Wheter that is true or not i dont know.
I purchased the tach bracket Pauls performance so i didnt have to drill or punch holes in my dash to mount it.

ubenbit

Established Member
has anyone heard of the PIVOT AUTO SHIFT LAMP? it is supposed to be a plug in shift lamp that plugs into the cigarette lighter and reads rpms through the cars electrical wiring. curious minds can type in (pivot auto shift lamp) in any search engine window and take a look. if this is as good as it sounds, it sure beats having to tap into the cars wiring like most other shift lights require.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
sn8kbite,

What is the bottom gauge on the pillar? Exhaust temp? What
brand of gauge is it also? I think I see FORD also in the center.

It also looks like you painted your pillar to match the interior?

Looks good....

davidmax

Established Member
Sean (SHM) is installing a shift light for the 03' that works independant of the pcm/tach.On modded motors good for 8000 rpm the tach seems to lag behind the actual rpm,therefore a 600 rpm power shift can be 6600rpm and depending on your motor you can damage it.(With no governors or rev ltrs,but the shift Lt. will funtion as a red line and can be adjusted from from the cockpit with a laptop)
With the in dash shift LT30 psi boost guage,exhaust temp,,6 after market gauges the shift lt. being #7 and the boost guage brings it down to 5 more 3 on a pillar and 3 on dash(B Pillar) mount on top of radio and permanent>hould be hot and nasty,Dave S.
PS the F series ATI race blower is good for 35 lbs. of boost on 100 octane,I will run 104.
I should have it in 10-14 days and I'm drooling,Dave S.

FearblueR1

Established Member
SilverSnake03 can you post or send me the pictures you are referring to. I have to do this mod very soon. =)

Do I need an RPM activated switch?? Would this be the same place to hook up the 2 step module if needed?

I too have Pauls HPeformance Tach bracket. I have the 5" lunar tach with shift light, and the MSD tach adapter.

I thought I could adjust the shift light on the tach itself? Hmmm, now I'm curious.

Whatever pictures or install instructions you could come up with would be very helpful. Thank You!

[email protected]

sn8kbite

Established Member
The gauges are Ford Motorsports i beleave they are made by autometer.
They all have the blue oval in the center,my pillar was dyed to match the interior not painted,cost me 18 dollars to have it dyed.
The bottom gauge is a voltmeter since the factory boost gauge resides where the voltmeters used to be.

maoun

Established Member
can anybody repost a picture of their installed on the steering column or at the top of the gauges? i'd love to see it
where'd you run the wires?

thanks
m.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
Raptor

I installed the Raptor. Works great. I purchased the yellow LED version. I installed mine at the bottom of the drivers side pillar where the pillar meets the dash. Most people cannot even see it or tell it is there. I can see it when it lights up no problem. Set it at 6K.

Users who are viewing this thread