Shifter/handle quandry

mxpicc

Established Member
Hi all. Like many out there, I am not all that thrilled with the stock shifter and the awkward position of its throw into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. I have been contemplating a new shifter (triax) but have also read on this site about the increased tranny noise that many are experiencing. The stock shifter does have a thick rubber bushing that silences any noise now but in lieu of a new shifter, I am contemplating purchasing just the MGW handle that adjusts to both height and position. I do not race or anything (so the shorter throw of a new shifter is not critical to me) and prefer to keep any tranny noise to a minimum. Is the MGW handle swap the best option (which also comes with a rubber bushings)? For those that have the MGW handle and stock shifter, would like your thoughts.

Thanks.....

coleman

Established Member
first, purchase MGW handle and replace the stock one -- remove rubber.
if that isn't what you want, get a Pro-5.0 and replace the stock shifter.

to reduce noise, someone mentioned adding some ATF to the tranny ??? do a search...
also, you can seal the plate better around the shifter cuz someone else mentioned that theirs was torqued down so much that it was warped and letting more sound come through...

just repeating what i heard...

i have a Pro-5.0 w/ Pro-5.0's handle and like it.
it is noisy but not so much so that i haven't pursued the above options... but may soon.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I have owned both, and while I like the throw of the Tri-Ax better, the Pro 5.0 is definately quieter. Just depends on what is more improtant to you. The Cobra tranny has the shift stops built in, so I agree with Coleman, get the MGW handle first, try it on the stock shifter and see if it suits your needs, if not, then fork over the $180+ for a new shifter.

MongoCobra

Established Member
Do a search on my name, I put together an extension plate and used the Tri Ax handle, seems to work for me with minimal noise

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
MGW Handle is sweet, I did that before the Triax, just the handle alone with just the rubber washers made it much louder though, that little rubber bit on the stock musta been what hinderd the noise.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Addition of MGW results in a notchy, metallic feel to shifts. Noiser than stock, but with a reassuring clunk into gear.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
Addition of MGW results is a notchy, metallic feel to shifts. Noiser than stock, but with a reassuring clunk into gear.
I agree.

Spend the whopping 40 bucks on the handle first. I had a Pro 5.0 on my '97 Cobra and after trying just the MGW handle it feels good enough for me.

NewMexicoCobra

Established Member
I have just the handle with the MGW $60 race knob. Used the two small rubber washers to attach handle. Noise is minimized by getting the top of the shift boot as snug as possible against the bottom of the knob.

I have never owned an after market shifter but the knob is now where I can reach it and the shift quality itself is fine. I like it.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
MGW works fine for me. It's right where I want it, and it's adjustable. Feel is good. No need for a shifter yet. It's not that much louder. Put the washers in if you want, but I think the feel more than makes up for the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread