Shifter Handles

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
For you guys that have the tri-ax or the 5.0 shifter,how does your new handle feel in the car compared to the stock handle? I just want to make sure these handles are still in a comfortable spot that does not allow me to have to reach for my throws.I am a average size person if that helps.Any input appreciated!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The straight handle with the Pro 5.0 will not be to your liking then. You really have to reach for 3rd. I understand they have different handles, however, to bring it further back. I've got pretty long arms so it's not too bad for me, but I have considered changing the handle. The Tri-ax handle would probably be just what you want.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Why fret over the stick when you can have any position you want with the MGW shift handle? This is simply the best stick you can get because it is completely adjustable. Top it off with one of thier composite "competition" knobs and you can't go wrong. There really is no need for an aftermarket shifter - the difference in shifting comes from the lack of the giant rubber blocks in the stock piece. This is eliminated with the MGW handle, and replaced by harder rubber bushings that still insulate most vibration and heat. It's the best 35 dollars you can spend on the car (and another 60 if you like their knob - which feels great by the way). No, I am not a salesman, I'm just very satisfied and trying to save you big bucks. And if you still feel the need for the aftermarket shifter, this handle is still better than the pro 5.0 or triax handle because of its adjustability. You can't go wrong. MGW Limited

Bry 03 Cobra

Established Member
I agree about only needing the handle. I have a tri-ax handle w/the stock base. feels just as my PRO5.0 did(also used tri-ax handle) The dealer gave me some $hit with the 96 about the shifter. Didnt want the same with this. Acording to the Tremec site(and some of my brothers vette buddys) the T56 has internal stops, I was told though the are only alloy, so banging hard can break them. But thats what the 3/36 is for. My car shifts great with the setup I have now. Maybe when the warr is up, will get a shifter for a little extra insurance.

demann

Established Member
extra long (rear extended) handles

I don't think I am especially tall (6') but I find that even the stock handle is about 3 inches too far foward on average. Have any of you taller guys found a handle that extends backwards more than the stock handle? I am even thinking about trying to have my stock handle bent so that it reaches farther back than it does now. Any other solutions to this situation?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I had Pro 5.0 Shifter with Steeda handle on my 96Cobra..Best of both worlds in my opinion..stock handle works also..
I seen a car this week with the MGW handle..The MGW handle can be positioned any way you want.NICE PIECE

Jim V.

Mowgli

Established Member
I'm 6 foot even, with a 34-35 inch sleeve.

Hate the stock handle position, and the rubbery throw. Missed third so many times its sick. Just ordered the MGW handle.

I'll let you all know my impressions when it arrives and I install it.

noslo50

Established Member
I just installed the mgw handle last night and all i can say is it is the best 35.00 i have ever spent. you can set it short/high close or far. no more reaching for third gear.....................................

TruBlu03

If youjust use the handle does it get rid of the stock squishy feeling?? Also, if you don't power shift how easy/hard is it to bend a shift fork? Just wondering if I should get just a handle or a shifter and handle.

Any info is appreciated.

noslo50

Established Member
The stock feel is completly gone. As long as you don't over muscle the thing i think powershifting won't be a problem, i have a few fox bodies with aftermarket shifters(pro 5.0, b&m) and this really is my favorite. and for 35.00 what a bargin. the shift handle has the same rubber mount as the older cars(stock) the mgw comes with either a pair of washers or rubber square i used the washers and it is solid and we put a tko in my brothers 89 gt attached to the tranny handle was a tag that read(do not change the factory base to an aftermarket because they are the cause of many failures). Jerry

NewMexicoCobra

Established Member
I just installed the MGW handle on the stock base 4 days ago. (I'm 5'7")

1. The knob is where I want it - before it felt like I was bending in half shifting to 3rd.
2. The shift action is more precise than stock.
3. Biggest surprise - the noise from the transmission has been reduced by about 2/3! It is worth more than $35 just for that. I used the 2 little washers as suggested on the MGW website.

See the following sites for more info. The MGW site has a video showing the new position of the handle while shifting.

http://www.stangnet.com/pbullitt/mgwltd2.html

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shift_handle.html

I do not work for and am not related to anyone at MGW.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by noslo50
attached to the tranny handle was a tag that read(do not change the factory base to an aftermarket because they are the cause of many failures). Jerry

Noslo50,

I replaced my shifter handle and did not see a tag.... Where did you find it?

Peter

:??:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I just swapped the stock handle with the MGW today and what a difference. Its positioned so much better and I can change that to my liking. I don't see the PEO 5.0 I have ordered making this any better. I think I'll send it back and save myself 200 bucks.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I just swapped the stock handle with the MGW today and what a difference. Its positioned so much better and I can change that to my liking. I don't see the PEO 5.0 I have ordered making this any better. I think I'll send it back and save myself 200 bucks.

Smart Mr. Snake.....

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread