Shifter movement when accelerating and decelerating as well as popping out of gear

svt_steve_svt

Established Member
Just swapped in a rebuilt t56 in my SRA 99 gt and the shifter will move about and inch towards me when accelerating and and inch away from me when decelerating in gear. There is also some overall slip back and forth in each gear. This is with an mgw short throw. The movement is so bad that it has popped me out of 6th gear when decelerating on occasion. My only thoughts are motor and trans mounts? Or maybe the shifter bushing the ball rides in?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Check to see the trans has the anti venom mod. This is where the shifter detent ball bolt has washers installed to shim it out. It's on the right side, and is accessed on the outside of the trans.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’m pretty sure it does not, can you explain please? And how will it fix my problem?
Browse through this anti-venom mod thread. In particular post #22. If you have the anti-venom mod installed, popping out of gear can happen when the shifter detent ball bolt is shimmed.

svt_steve_svt

Established Member
I’ll check tomorrow to be sure but any other guesses as what could cause my issues? And is the back and forth play in gear even with the car off normal? It’s about and inch

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d pull the shifter out and inspect it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03' White Snake

Established Member
Depending on which shifter, make sure the shift stops are backed out or removed. They are not needed on a T56.

Check the dust boot under shifter bezel is not stopping the shifter from fully engaging gears.

My magnum has a plastic shifter bushing, I upgraded to a bronze bushing. Took out a lot of in gear slop out of the shifter. I do not remember what is inside the stock T56, but that bushing could be missing or warn out. Pull the shifter and look.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The antivenom mod shouldn't cause shifter slop. I've had it in a couple T-56's with no issues.

I'd pull the shifter as 03 White Snake mentioned and see if the bushing is in the cup. If it's missing or damaged it might not let the gears fully engage which could cause them to pop out. If it's there you might have to talk to the people that rebuilt the trans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread