Shifter solution-now i'm happy

MongoCobra

Established Member
I was really dissatisfied with the position of the shifter when I first got the Cobra, so after reading a lot of posts from this board i pucked up the MGW handle. The handle istelf is excellent but still too far a reach to fifth for me. On to the Tri- Ax, better still and cleans up the sloppy OEM 2nd to 3rd shifting. Still not happy.

I went down to Home Depot, picked up a piece of 1/8" x 2" sheet metal, and cut three pieces 3" long. Drilled holes using the MGW as a guide and bolted it together, bolted the handle on and the other side to the shifter shaft. Now the handle is in the same upright position it should be, but about 2 inches further back, and 3/8 inch closer to the driver and no increase in noise. It looks ugly, but it feels great - no more reaching. wish I had taken pictures before I put everything back together but you get the idea. no clearance problems whatsover. If I get around to it I want to go to a metal shop to see if I can get this thing made from billett aluminum.

CWCobra

Established Member
I took off the shifter handle, put it in a vise. Heated it with propane torch and bent it. Put it 2" closer to me. Now much easier to reach. Zero cost. Easy to do.
Later,
CW

MongoCobra

Established Member
here is the pic (hope this works) with the Tri Ax handle

pubimage.asp

Users who are viewing this thread