Shifting Problems

car737

Money to Blow
Established Member
has anyone had any problems shifting into first or second in the 03 Cobra, especially first. I told the dealer and they said that was normal... i asked How that could be normal, and they just said because.. didnt make sense to me..

any thoughts????

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I thoguht the same thing when I first got my COBRA. I talked with a few people from ford/SVT at the SEMA show here in Veags. One guy said it is a sincro-less first gear. The other guy from SVT said that guy was wrong. But they both said it is normal. It seems as though these guys are brainwashed by Ford to give the same "NORMAL" answer.

Believe me you get used to it. Do as I do. Once in first just let it snap and feel the power. You will soon forget about your clunk in first gear. Just don't go WOT for longer than 20 sec. Then you will have the piston slap problem on #7....LOL... not real funny now that I think of it. :shrug:

Vegas

car737

Money to Blow
Established Member
sometimes at red lights i have a hard time just getting it into first, not even a snap.. sometimes it just wont go.. do you know if another shifter will any kind of difference, for instance like the STEEDA

Hye

Established Member
car737 said:
sometimes at red lights i have a hard time just getting it into first, not even a snap.. sometimes it just wont go.. do you know if another shifter will any kind of difference, for instance like the STEEDA

same here, but it probably only happens once a month and i daily drive my car, but i figure its an american car shit like thats gonna happen

car737

Money to Blow
Established Member
i guess i will just have to get used to it.. does anyone change out the shifter.. does it make any difference

It's not the trans...It's the clutch. The gears must come to a full stop before the trans will go into first if you are not moving. The clutch does not stop the gears fully and the 1st gear can not engauge. I got the cluch replaced under warranty at 9400 miles. Have not had the problem since! .02

tom03lightning

Established Member
I had same problem when I got my '03 (used with 15K miles). Was abear to get into 1st and reverse, and second you kinda hoped you got it the first time. I had my dealer do a trans service (about $150 form them, probably cheaper at any other place than dealer), believe it mainly consisted of a complete flush of the fluid. After that the trans was like brand new. No hard shifting into any gear.

Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
About 90% of the time mine worked fine, but occasionally I had trouble getting into first and reverse.

tapout632

Established Member
yeah this is a pretty stupid question but what exactly do you mean what is WOT/wide open throttle?

Users who are viewing this thread