SHM 4V Turbo cams

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Anyone run these cams? I know they are regrinds. I have an opportunity to throw a set of these on while my heads are at the machine shop. The car is a 99 Cobra built 5.0 stroker with a .70 turbo. Also, if anyone is running them, any sound clips, gains, etc?

Thanks!!:beer:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
is it me- or are most of the specs listed in the above link completely wrong for what they're listed for? especially the blower cams-209 dur? that's almost stock! dude I have some cams 230/230 actual [email protected]" 470lift 114 lsa- sell to you for 600 bucks- would be good for your setup

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
one more comment about the SHM cams- and this bugs the shit out of me- how the **** can you regrind a cam to make it bigger than it already was? makes no sense. yeah-if everyone could send in stock cams and SHM turn them into big cams-everyone would do it.

GPowrie

Established Member
one more comment about the SHM cams- and this bugs the shit out of me- how the **** can you regrind a cam to make it bigger than it already was? makes no sense. yeah-if everyone could send in stock cams and SHM turn them into big cams-everyone would do it.

Regrinding cams to increase duration and lift is actualy normal to do. The way they are doing it is by reducing the base circle of the camshaft(I belive thwy do it .050") which is why you have to run spacers under the lash adjuster. As far as the orignal posters question though, I had problems with a set SHM regrind cams. The modular ford camshafts are very sensitive to run out on the base circle. What basicly happens is the lash adjuster will adjust to the lowest spot on the base circle and hold the valve slighly open on the rest of the base circle. The engine will make basicly no cranking compression and be down on power and hard to start. It may have been an isolated experice I had but I doubt it.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Regrinding cams to increase duration and lift is actualy normal to do. The way they are doing it is by reducing the base circle of the camshaft(I belive thwy do it .050") which is why you have to run spacers under the lash adjuster. As far as the orignal posters question though, I had problems with a set SHM regrind cams. The modular ford camshafts are very sensitive to run out on the base circle. What basicly happens is the lash adjuster will adjust to the lowest spot on the base circle and hold the valve slighly open on the rest of the base circle. The engine will make basicly no cranking compression and be down on power and hard to start. It may have been an isolated experice I had but I doubt it.

Good info. Thank you for the input...

Fourcam330

Established Member
Well I would like to think I am serious!! I'm leaning towards the Houston performance ones from the gentleman in this thread....

HP regrinds > SHM anything however why not just get billets? Do it once and do it right.

Precision and accuracy can't be replicated with a regrind as well as they can when starting off with a billet blank.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
HP regrinds > SHM anything however why not just get billets? Do it once and do it right.

Precision and accuracy can't be replicated with a regrind as well as they can when starting off with a billet blank.

I called HP and he said they are billet (the one for sale here) I asked him a lot of ?'s. My car is a 99 Cobra built 5.0 Teksid with 8.5.1 compression. Single .70 turbo with a .68 a/r exhaust housing. I will be upgrading later to a .76 / .96.. HP said these cams will be fine, and I could send them i to redo the exhaust if I wanted to....

Fourcam330

Established Member
I called HP and he said they are billet (the one for sale here) I asked him a lot of ?'s. My car is a 99 Cobra built 5.0 Teksid with 8.5.1 compression. Single .70 turbo with a .68 a/r exhaust housing. I will be upgrading later to a .76 / .96.. HP said these cams will be fine, and I could send them i to redo the exhaust if I wanted to....

Good deal, I assumed you were talking about their regrinds.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Thanks encasedmetal for a great deal on the cams, payment sent!!

These are identical to Lethal's turbo cam specs....

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Anyone have these or the lethal cams with a turbo? If so, what gains, and any sound clips would be awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread