SHO owners enter please.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I found a white 93 Taurus sho atx in town today, so i decided to go look at it. I was hoping it would be an mtx, but its an auto. Anyways, the car has 129k original miles, paint is very good, leather looks pretty good (no tears) dash looks all fine (even has original radio) Under the hood, the engine looks very well taken care, very clean (not degreased looking, just clean) Everything works, its got all power with climate control and everything like that. Engine runs fine (i didn't drive it, just listened to it idle) The guy wants $3,000 cash for it? Is that a good deal or should I hold out to find an mtx, which is what i would much prefer.

werstlna

Established Member
I had a '93 auto also and I really enjoyed the car overall. I would say the weak points are that this was the first year for the auto tranny and mine was showing some slipping ~95k. Also the AC had to be rebuilt $$ and the starter was a weak point for that engine. My advice would be to hold out for an MTX for the fun factor plus $3 grand isn't that great of a deal for the car as described.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Unless the car has had it's 60k and a rebuilt transmission there's no way I'd throw any kind of money down on it.

slider701

Established Member
Hold out for a manual trans.....it will be well worth it. I owned a 93 and a 95 and LOVED THEM!!!!!!!!!!! They would run with most Mustangs of their era (you couldn't beat them but on the freeway you could really piss them off when they couldn't get around you and you were in a 4 door family car). The only issue I ever had was I was always the designated driver to the bar because of the four door.

Seriously....here is some stuff to look for:

The engines will run forever....it is a Yamaha engine so the quality is good for 300K miles if maintained. Check to see if the timing belt has ever been replaced if over 100K miles and sometimes the valves will need adjusted because they are just like a motorcycle engine with OHV with shims over the valve buckets. Not a hard job to adjust/check the valve lash if you are somewhat competent.

The suspension bushings will wear on these old cars. Spend the money and put new sub-frame bushings, control arm bushings, and check other stuff like ball joints. I believe that urethane bushings are available for all of these points.

Check the brake rotors for signs of corrosion at the rotor hats if you are in a rust belt area...Ford had a recall on these back in the day on these.

If I could find one in the southern states that the body was rust free and it was $2500 or less I would buy it in a minute. My two SHO's that I owned were the funnest cars I owned......maybe not the fastest but the definitely the funnest.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
+1 on 60k service, waiting for an mtx, and 60k service. My buddy has a 96, which was auto only, and that is even still fun. They are fun cars, but high maintence.

sho92mtx

CT SHO
Established Member
Had my car over 7 years now, 158k, no major problems, just like anything else, make sure you maintain it!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
they are maintenance whores. and lots of parts are starting to become obsolete. with that said, I love'em.
I owned a stock 90 and a modded 93 ATX. Although, I loved my ATX, the MTX still owned....even killed an LT1 Camaro on the highway...

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
IMO if you're looking for a rather quick 4 door look into the 3800 s/c equipped Regal, Bonneville or GP's.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IMO if you're looking for a rather quick 4 door look into the 3800 s/c equipped Regal, Bonneville or GP's.

I would agree if you want a car that you just mash the pedal in and can only go straight!

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
SHO all the way
Definetly look for an MTX and make sure its been taken care of, as stated they are a pain to work on.
But they are great fast 4doors

Users who are viewing this thread