Short distance

thatdude305

Established Member
I just had a question about driving distance. I only live about 3 miles from work takes usually about 10-12 minutes. Does driving a short distance like this due any damage or is it OK? Thx

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as you take the car out once a week or so and get it up to operating temperature. It’s worse if living in a colder environment, because not getting the engine up to temperature doesn’t allow for the engine to burn off any moisture or condensation that has collected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BLCKSVT

Established Member
Let the car idle to full operating temp and you will be fine. Esp in cold environments. Let her warm up

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
If you use full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 and good oil filter Mobil 1 or wix xp synthetic oil filter . Change it one a years . And you good . Stay away from all fram oil filter

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Follow the advice above about letting your engine warm up to normal operating temp, and take it for longer distances occasionally. Which you probably do. I live 2 miles from work and drove my '03 Cobra almost daily back in the day. Late March through early December. Mixed it with longer run to shop, cruise, visit friends/family, etc. Changed my oil/filter every 3 months. No issues.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Follow the advice above about letting your engine warm up to normal operating temp, and take it for longer distances occasionally. Which you probably do. I live 2 miles from work and drove my '03 Cobra almost daily back in the day. Late March through early December. Mixed it with longer run to shop, cruise, visit friends/family, etc. Changed my oil/filter every 3 months. No issues.

What oil and filter did you use ? Every 3 month seem like wasted moneys .

Which any good full synthetic oil and good filter imma use Mobil 1 as an example . Mobil 1 + Mobil 1 oil filter will last a years or 15k miles easy . I’m pretty sure most of us put 500-1000 miles a years on their terminator .

thatdude305

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean by normal operating temps. I live in South Florida so it's always hot. But I start it up and let it sit for 2-3 mins then drive to work. When I get to work the temp gauge is usually at the half way mark.

blownfox

Established Member
Normal operating temp would be like 190° give or take , you know full operating temperature.

Are you talking oil temp or coolant temp? I'm running a 170 t-stat and haven't seen anything over 180 on 100+ degree days. Unsure what my oil temps would be since I don't monitor those.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Are you talking oil temp or coolant temp? I'm running a 170 t-stat and haven't seen anything over 180 on 100+ degree days. Unsure what my oil temps would be since I don't monitor those.

Coolant. My car runs a constant 185 on a cool day. I was told it had a 165 or 170 reische t stat too. It’s never overheated on me and hasn’t gone much past 200° on a really hot day.

How would I know what the temperature is anyways. The gauge is usually half way when I get to work

I use aeroforce gauges to monitor everything. The factory gauge is a dummy gauge. Look into a set of aeroforce gauges, very handy tools, they can save you an engine rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread