Shorty Headers

Nervouswreck

Established Member
I can’t believe after all these years that we are still only left with JBA for a shorty header for the 03,04 Cobra . But with that being said, this may be my only option. I currently have a MAC Pro Chamber mid pipe in Stainless , and Flowmasters , yes I’m old school but I’m 45 years old and it takes me back to high school with my Foxbody with Flowmasters. I love the way my Cobra sounds but i just can’t get past those stock manifolds . I just had the motor totally overhauled with some upgrades , re powder coated cam covers and timing cover , basically EVERYTHING is brand new , seals , o-rings , sensors, everything. So now i want to do headers . I don’t want long tubes because of the clearance issues , and i want the room should i want to remove trans in the future as well , plus my Cobra is only 535 hp with a Posi Ported blower and MIGHT go VMP but not sure , but will never be more than that . This car is more like a garage queen. So with that being said I’m thinking the shorty headers will be fine . My question is for my guys here is what are your experiences with these for those who have them? I hear mixed reviews. I hear they are junk and they crack , then i hear they’re great headers . And what ( if any) can i expect for gains? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I would do long tubes if I was you. I’ve had them for years. Started with the 1-5/8 Mac- plenty of clearance. Now have 1-3/4 kooks- only clearance issue is ground and that’s mostly cause I have k member spacers. Plenty of space to drop a transmission. I was even able to drop my 6r80 out without removing the headers.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
I would do long tubes if I was you. I’ve had them for years. Started with the 1-5/8 Mac- plenty of clearance. Now have 1-3/4 kooks- only clearance issue is ground and that’s mostly cause I have k member spacers. Plenty of space to drop a transmission. I was even able to drop my 6r80 out without removing the headers.

Thank you !!

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Where are you located? I have a set of brand new bassani mid length headers. Also have matching x pipe. Send me a pm if interested.

I’m in eastern PA . I really appreciate that offer sir , but was never a fan of Bassani mid length because of the slip on collector . I was never a fan , and i don’t like X-pipes either lol . I do appreciate it tho bud

toby1234

Established Member
All good. I had bought some JBA shorties and I got them for cheap because they had a small crack near a weld at the collector. It’s common apparently. They were good quality except for that defect.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm at 714 with the stock manifolds, and that's with a measly 'ol 2.3 whipple. TQ is 680 peak @ 3800....it makes 600 right off idle. The stock manifolds perform pretty amazing....but I do understand the desire to change the sound profile.....and the look. Pretty they are not....but they are tuff! Don't believe these will crack any time soon. Too many reports of shorties cracking.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
I'm at 714 with the stock manifolds, and that's with a measly 'ol 2.3 whipple. TQ is 680 peak @ 3800....it makes 600 right off idle. The stock manifolds perform pretty amazing....but I do understand the desire to change the sound profile.....and the look. Pretty they are not....but they are tuff! Don't believe these will crack any time soon. Too many reports of shorties cracking.

Damn . Lol thanks bud . How is the whine on your Whipple? I’d like one but i need loud whine and the Whipples were always quiet to me

Nervouswreck

Established Member

Damn . Lol thanks bud . How is the whine on your Whipple? I’d like one but i need loud whine and the Whipples were always quiet to me

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

It's not kb 2.2 loud.....but pretty darn loud for a whipple. This same blower with the 3.0 upper (18psi) for pump 93 is a lot quieter. But with the 2.6 upper (22psi) for E85 it's much louder. Another of the long list of reasons to never be on the gas tune if I can help it lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Haven't you posted about this before several times? The JBA shorties crack, JBA even redesigned them several times with extra gussets and they still crack so I'd stay away from them. I originally wanted to do shorties but after a lot of research the JBA's and Ford racing shorties are both junk that crack.

I went JBA "long tubes" which are more of a midlength, they offer excellent ground clearance and no slip fit connectors, plus they're stainless steel. I had to clearance one pipe with a few smacks with a hammer to clear the kmember, others have reported the same. The only downside to the JBA mids is they only offer an H pipe, so I spliced the front of the JBA mid pipe with my manifold off road x pipe so I can have the x pipe sound.

Users who are viewing this thread