Shot out a spark plug at 7,000 rpm

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Getting on the highway last night, I'm walking an Si and at the top of 3rd gear my car instantly started sounding like a lawnmower and lost power. I had to drive about 1/4 mile to a turn out. Poped the hood, started it for a second, the cop cover was lifting on the passenger side, I knew I spit a plug. $140 tow later, I get home and park it. Pulled cover to find this.

image_zps019e4fa5.jpg

image_zps9ee86a11.jpg

Should have just left it parked for the damn winter...
image_zpsb5d7590b.jpg

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
been there..... twice. spit a plug out, had a shop do a helicoil and it spit out within a week. pretty sure it wasn't done right since other people have not had issues, so I finally just got new heads and said forget it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
hey man, this is chris who you bought that 03 cobra pumpkin from a couple years ago. search my posts, this happened to me last year and I was able to fix it myself with the right tool (lock-n-stitch)

shurur

Established Member
Time-sert is another one..but I think the lock-n-stitch uses metal inserts (vice AL) that don't expand and contract with the head....as I recall....anyone??

My DT still isn't set up...

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't know the difference. I have the Timesert in mine. No issues after a couple thousand miles. I was thinking of doing the rest when the heads come off.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
hey man, this is chris who you bought that 03 cobra pumpkin from a couple years ago. search my posts, this happened to me last year and I was able to fix it myself with the right tool (lock-n-stitch)

Hey man, long time. The diff is still going strong. Did a 5k 2 step launch the day before this happened, took it like a champ. I'm having trouble finding the write up, do you mind linking it in here?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
here you go buddy, glad to hear that diff worked out well for you.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?996481-spit-another-plug!

best of luck with it, and let me know if I can answer any questions

edit: one other thing, i fixed the first one just by using a tap on the threads and it is still holding. but on this particular one the threads were completely toast.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I Had it vice versa...thanks for the link.

1. Timesert kit uses steel inserts.

2. I am trying to avoid using steel inserts, the locknstitch uses anodized aluminum. from what i understand it has better heat transfer characteristics which are important on a supercharged application.

Users who are viewing this thread