Should I buy boss 302 manifold??

Steiblerm

I'm very torn on whether or not I should buy the Boss 302 manifold I found one locally someone selling for $400 I have a cold air intake 373 gears Offroad H basic bolt ons I read about the loss and torque but the gains in the mid-range I don't want to rev to 8 Grand is this mod worth it?

Zemedici

Established Member
Depends. You will lose power down low and mid range and pick it up on the top end. I never drove around at 4k+, as I'm not 16 years old, so I didn't see the benefit.

But if you consistently drag race I could see the use.

Bryanh24

Established Member
I was researching this forever man lol... but in the end I decided to stick with the stock manifold. I was always told you don't see any benefit without revving it to 7600+ and that is just way to much stress on the drivetrain for this car IMO. I also asked my tuner about it, he said it looks cool and it is only good for boost. He also said he did not see any increase of time at the track with the boss manifold and that he keeps the stock manifold for all of his NA cars. Hope this helps!

Steiblerm

Yeah I think I was just trying to talk myself into doing it I'm the same as you guys I don't see me reving up that high

StalkerStang

Established Member
I have a GT350 intake, and I had little to no loss below 3000 rpm, with 10-15 HP gains throughout the rpm band, and when the stock intake calls it quits around 6500 rpm or so, the GT350 continued to pull up to 7600 and ended with gaining around 40 HP. With the stock intake peak at 6400 or so, the GT350 was 20 HP higher.

0 regrets.....

Zemedici

Established Member
I have a CJ setup. I drive around at 4000+ RPM from time to time, am not 16 years old, and have zero drivetrain issues (as well as many other people). There is so much false information in this thread.

Please enlighten us as to how your driving habits in your CJ MANIFOLD car has anything at all to do with OPs question about the boss manifold? I have never heard of drivetrain issues from running the manifolds, but as I stated unless you are in the power band of the manifolds (where they gain over stock) daily, you would be losing power would you not?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Please enlighten us as to how your driving habits in your CJ MANIFOLD car has anything at all to do with OPs question about the boss manifold? I have never heard of drivetrain issues from running the manifolds, but as I stated unless you are in the power band of the manifolds (where they gain over stock) daily, you would be losing power would you not?

Somebody else said there are drivetrain issues, research has concluded that the two manifolds are similar but the differences lie in the throttle body, and your comments came across as condescending.

momogt

Established Member
highway driving and street stop and go driving in town do you feel the torque loss that some talk about

noldevin

Established Member
Depends. You will lose power down low and mid range and pick it up on the top end. I never drove around at 4k+, as I'm not 16 years old, so I didn't see the benefit.

But if you consistently drag race I could see the use.
I wasn't aware that you had to be 16 years old to enjoy your car's powerband :rolleyes:

1slo5oh

Established Member
I picked up a Boss intake pretty cheap... had it ported and run a Accufab TB...AED tuned on E85 I didn't feel a loss of torque on the low end like most complain about.. and if I did the tires didn't get the memo... still has a traction issue. I have ran a couple of CJ cars since the install.. pulled one and was dead even with the other...

In my opinion if you can find a deal on one so you can put a little work into it.. worth it.. if you are buying everything brand new.... skip the boss and go with a CJ..

Either way its more power to the ground.. hard to beat that

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I had the boss and it was also ported. You can't really feel the low end loss but you'll see it on a dyno of a before and after comparison. To me, if you hit the track often, Boss is nice to have. If you play here and there on the street, stock intake. Best of both worlds will be either the CJ or GT350 manifold.
But if you can get a Boss for cheap, then why not.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I had the boss and it was also ported. You can't really feel the low end loss but you'll see it on a dyno of a before and after comparison. To me, if you hit the track often, Boss is nice to have. If you play here and there on the street, stock intake. Best of both worlds will be either the CJ or GT350 manifold.
But if you can get a Boss for cheap, then why not.

What numbers did you pull on the ported boss? I always hear torque loss but ET and street runs say other. It seems that you can get a used boss have it ported and run the same if not better than a CJ or gt350 for less.

KushBandit

Established Member
What numbers did you pull on the ported boss? I always hear torque loss but ET and street runs say other. It seems that you can get a used boss have it ported and run the same if not better than a CJ or gt350 for less.

Assuming it's a stock long block car with bolt ons, the boss intake will be slower in the 1/8th mile than the stock intake but faster on the back end of the 1/4.

No way will a ported Boss outperform a CJ intake. The CJ has larger runner and plenum volume, which can also be ported. Not to mention the Boss's TB opening can't match the CJ. A ported Boss/85mm TB/Airraid CAI setup will get you close to a CJ setup.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The stock intake can flow well over 1500 CFM while NA and most CAI's max out at 1100 CFM. Clean up the internal burs from the manufacturing process, port match it, use a quality CAI, add LT's and a catted X and get a quality tune. You will make about 440 RWHP and and about 425 RWTQ with a nice flat torque line.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
^If you see 440rwhp/425rwtq out of a stock intake with stock heads/cams, you're on a happy dyno.

Stock, my 2013 made 391 rwhp and 378 rwtq. You don't think a stock upper intake can support a gain of less than 50 rwhp and tq?

Shoot, even my 2007 4.6L went from 265 rwhp and 235 rwtq to 308 rwhp and 295 rwtq with a CAI, full exhaust (including American Racing LT's) and a tune. And both cars were tuned by 2 different guys on two different dyno's, yielding about the same results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread