Should I Detail '99 GT for trade-in?

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm looking at selling my 99 GT either by trade-in or individual sale. I'd like to get as much for it as I can. (need for 2003 Cobra downpayment). Should I have it detailed? and if so to what extent? I'd sure appreciate any advice...
It's in pretty good condition.. I can give details ...
Ktee

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It won't hurt to have it shining like a new penny. That just let's the buyer/dealer know it was taken care of. A good wash and wax would be nice. The interior should be clean as well, which I'm sure it is.
Having all the maintenance records as well is another way of proving it is taken care of. I keep my receipts when I get the oil changed or any routine maintenance done. I keep them in the owners manual in the dash.

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure its clean inside and out. I'm just wondering if its worth the money to have it professionally done. Do you think it will bring the sales price up enough to warrant it? And, how much do you think I should spend? Theres a lot of shops out there with different quotes. Thanks again,
Ktee

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'd go the autobell wash route, and try for a mild wax job. I wouldn't spend more than $100 in any case. If it helps you great! If it doesn't, you haven't invested too much money.

That is just my opinion though. :)

scott

Established Member
just so you will know, i traded a 99gt 35th anniversary with 28,000 on it. very nice with auto trans. dealer offered 13 for it i took 13.5 i think he would have gone 14. hope this helps. to be the kicker i see my old stang around town, it was advertised in auto trader for 4 weeks and not a nibble. the dealer sold it in 3 days. good luck

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks, mine is blk/blk 99 GT - leather/17inch wheels, man. trans, premium sound/fully loaded 39,000 miles. in great condition. Do you have a general idea what I should ask for it? Thanks again,

ktee

scott

Established Member
in all honesty, with the miles, thedealer would probably try 12.5 to 13. id ask 15.5 for an individual sale.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I wouldn't go the extra mile and PAY to have it detailed... the dealer is gonna pimp ya' either way on a trade, that's just how they are. Just make sure it's clean int.-wise and maybe get the dust off the motor. If you wanna throw a quick wax on, sure, but I doubt that's gonna yeild you any more...

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
That's what I'm afraid of. Business is business... and I'm not too good at these things. I've a feeling I won't get what I need out of my GT. Money's a bit tight...I may end up keeping the GT and (sob!) letting go of my Cobra order... we'll see.....

Users who are viewing this thread