Should I pursue this L?

Sethsual

Established Member
I stumbled upon a silver 2000 Lightning last night and have been in contact with the owner all morning. I am looking for a (mostly) stock 99-04, and I'm not too worried about higher mileage as I plan on DD'ing it. Anyhow, here is what I'm looking at:

108K miles, and a claim that the motor was rebuilt about 20K ago due to "a ticking noise". Owner says it is bored .30 over, has a CAI, unk headers and unk cat-back exhaust, and 80 lb injectors. I asked the owner why there are 80's on there as I don't think the rest of the mods call for it, and he said that they were there when he bought the truck.

If that was the end of it, I'd probably make an offer. Instead, what has me here typing this out is the fact that it has a Check Engine Soon light illuminated. The owner says that it has been illuminated for the three years he has owned it, and that the code it throws shows that it is running rich (hello 80 lb injectors?!). He justifies this because it is tuned (by an unknown tuner). Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a properly tuned car be spot-on air/fuel-wise? lol

I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts. Thanks

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Those 80's are def over kill for other wise stock L setup. Either he put them in and doesn't want to look like a noob or the owner before that didn't know any better. What's the price, condition of the truck inside and out? Does he have proof it was rebuilt? Could have been built, had the 80's, motor took a dump, previous owner tried to go back to stock besides the injectors. Then again just a poor choice of mods. I would say depending on price, condition, and really looking it over.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id check it over real good for sure

verify the code causing the CEL

Id probably want a compression test too

Users who are viewing this thread