Shredding belt on procharged cobra help!?!?

Badaz01

Established Member
As the title says and I know this has been Beaton several times. My issue is I have a d1sc procharged cobra. It has an innovators west 10% OD pulley 4 inch blower pulley and an American racing solutions tensioner. The only other thing I had to change was the idler across from the tensioner it was a 76mm we had to put in a 70 mm for new tensioner to fit. I keep shredding belts I don’t know what to do belt is tight as hell. Should I try going back to oem tensioner with the 76mm pulley or would going 8 rib fix my problem. I hate to drop another grand on pulleys idk.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Shredding belts is usually an alignment issue, something is spaced incorrectly. Are you shredding it on the radiator or motor side

Badaz01

Established Member
I haven’t seen it yet my mechanic just told me about it today but the last time it was on the motor side.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'd invest in a puller laser alignment tool like this one,
They are invaluable on custom pulley setups. Got my custom 8 rib setup working great.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
You’ll find it rather quickly with this device. I had the same issue. I was shredding belts on my Cobra and found the alternator bracket to be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Badaz01

Established Member
You’ll find it rather quickly with this device. I had the same issue. I was shredding belts on my Cobra and found the alternator bracket to be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Your about the third person I have heard who had trouble with the alternator bracket. Maybe I’ll check that out. I was looking at it one day just eyeing up the alternator pulley and the procharger pulley and the alternator pulley seems to be back a smidge.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well I stopped at the shop today to check out belt situation and it appears the belt is slipping off the back of the pro charger pulley. Looking at the American racing solutions tensioner there is a seam where it goes together and on the back the gap appears wider than where the tensioner arm is which would make the belt walk toward the motor. So we are gonna try to go back to oem Ford tensioner like it had the first time with no issues and I’m pretty sure it was 20 years old and still took a d1 beating for 600 miles so we shall see.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Smooth pullies don't move the belt. The grooved pullies are what grab it and move it. If it's sliding off the blower pulley then I'd lay odds it's the alignment between the alternator and blower.

Way back when I had a pulley that was half a rib out of alignment. It was one of the idler pullies. I kept shredding belts. Once I found that pulley and shimmed it everything was good. I used one of those laser levels for hanging pictures.

Badaz01

Established Member
Smooth pullies don't move the belt. The grooved pullies are what grab it and move it. If it's sliding off the blower pulley then I'd lay odds it's the alignment between the alternator and blower.

Way back when I had a pulley that was half a rib out of alignment. It was one of the idler pullies. I kept shredding belts. Once I found that pulley and shimmed it everything was good. I used one of those laser levels for hanging pictures.
Ok we will have to check the idlers to. We got the alternator and blower lined up good. Along with the stock tensioner we are gonna put back on the stock idler we had to make smaller in order for the ars tensioner to work. I did notice the idler on the procharger bracket seemed to be favoring the motor so I will definitely look into that as well. So frustrating

Badaz01

Established Member
Thank you guys for your responses and suggestions I’ll keep you all updated on how things go.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks the verdict is in. We put the stock tensioner and stock lower left idler pulley back in and wala it no longer shreds belts. Hopefully she holds up won’t really know until the weather breaks and I get some hard pulls in.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Well folks the verdict is in. We put the stock tensioner and stock lower left idler pulley back in and wala it no longer shreds belts. Hopefully she holds up won’t really know until the weather breaks and I get some hard pulls in.
Definitely interested to see how the stock ones work

Badaz01

Established Member
Definitely interested to see how the stock ones work
I can tell you my stock tensioner which I believe to have been original to the car held up the 570 whp and 502 rwtq for about 500 miles. I’m hoping the new one will last a while. I will post up an update once the weather breaks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can tell you my stock tensioner which I believe to have been original to the car held up the 570 whp and 502 rwtq for about 500 miles. I’m hoping the new one will last a while. I will post up an update once the weather breaks.
So you re-installed the new tensioner? Maybe I'm confusing myself here. In late January you re-installed the original tensioner and idler.

Badaz01

Established Member
I tried the American racing solutions tensioner late January and it didn’t work. So I re installed the stock tensioner the other day with the stock lower right idler. The lower right idler had to be smaller for the ars tensioner to work the way it was positioned. For some reason the belt and my car didn’t agree with that set up. Crazy thing is everything lined up with a laser. ‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread