Silly question about a car I really want

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Hey, this was a nice "what if" exercise. I really love that green though... (attached a pic of the exact package on the 'Stang I was looking at)
Do it while you can before our whole financial system collapses. At least you’ll have a cool car while we are all fighting for food and territory ;)

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Do it while you can before our whole financial system collapses. At least you’ll have a cool car while we are all fighting for food and territory ;)
I like that thought process. Finance rates kinda suck right now though. I have 0% on the Ranger (got it during the lockdowns), but it is valuing a few thousand over what I owe. Of course, getting them to give you that would be a fight. Just wish the rates were better. Not sure I want another $200 a month payment with things looking so dismal with the economy and banks. Been playing with numbers... It's so pretty... Precious...

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I like that thought process. Finance rates kinda suck right now though. I have 0% on the Ranger (got it during the lockdowns), but it is valuing a few thousand over what I owe. Of course, getting them to give you that would be a fight. Just wish the rates were better. Not sure I want another $200 a month payment with things looking so dismal with the economy and banks. Been playing with numbers... It's so pretty... Precious...
A friend of mine with very good credit bought a 10 year old vehicle last week. His rate was 10.5%....I personally wouldn't finance anything right now. Wait it out....it will get better (at least that's what the government tells me everyday)...

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up my Shelby exactly 14 days after my first child was born.

13s are probably a little smaller than the 15+ cars.

—Rear facing in the new edge I had at the time basically buried the passenger seat against the dash.
—Rear facing in the ‘13 wasn’t as bad, but you definitely don’t want anyone riding in that front seat unless they’re hungry for the taste of airbag.
—Front facing behind the passenger wasn’t too bad.
—Front facing behind the driver wasn't ideal, but still driveable.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Maybe I should just swap a Godzilla into the Ranger (wish someone had a kit)? Or better yet my wife's old 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited that I am fixing up? Talk about a sleeper.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Why not go to a local dealer and see if they will let you fit the seat into one of the cars to see if it will work? Act interested in buying but say it all hinges on if the seat will fit.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I put my granddaughter in her car seat in the back of mine and while it fit, it is good that my wife is short. Also strapping her in was not a joy for an old fat man. If it had been forward facing it would have been much easier.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Car seats barely fit in SUV's and crossovers anymore, they're huge. Good luck sitting in the seat in front of them and having any leg room. I have only found any comfort in my CC F150 while my daughter was in a car seat, thankfully she's moved up to a booster. Good luck.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Car seats barely fit in SUV's and crossovers anymore, they're huge. Good luck sitting in the seat in front of them and having any leg room. I have only found any comfort in my CC F150 while my daughter was in a car seat, thankfully she's moved up to a booster. Good luck.
They are obscenely huge. In our CX-5 we went to one that swivels out and remarkably that fits better than others we have seen. I am 6'1" and I can sit in the front passenger seat and my knees are close to the glove box door, but do not touch.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
We shopped for the most reasonably sized seats we could find for this reason. We have a Britax which is of course the cadillac of safety. But it's the thickest most absurdly large seat possible (thanks wife). It stays in the Truck.

When I take the boy in the Mach, I grab his graco and toss that in instead. It's more compact. A bit of figuring and you can make it work

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I never had a car seat in my old Mustangs but did in my old E55 and E63. Those had somewhat small back seats. And disclaimer, my kids we both big so I had them front-facing by 1. I started with a Nuna Rava, which is monstrous. It took up a large amount of space, and in the E55 I was smashed against the steering wheel (I'm about 6'1"). SO I switched to a Graco Nautilus 65. Much better! I was able to move the seat to comfortable location and my kids' legs had space. In my current cars, I have the Graco in my Explorer. Obviously a bigger car but I wanted the smaller one there so people could walk past into the 3rd row. I put the Nuna in my wife's Range Rover Velar as there's no 3rd row so the large size is ok. My daughter (just turned 2, about 37" tall) is very comfortable in both.

But back to info that's relevant, by buddy had to borrow a car seat a few months ago when his sister and niece were in town. He used the Graco Nautilus 65 in his 2015 Mustang and he was just fine. He's 5'9".

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I put my granddaughter in her car seat in the back of mine and while it fit, it is good that my wife is short. Also strapping her in was not a joy for an old fat man. If it had been forward facing it would have been much easier.

I hear ya. Putting a rear facing car seat in a vert with the top down is the way to go - lol.

In good conscience I couldn't put a rear facing seat in mine and expect a passenger to ride in the front seat with it all the way forward. If that dash airbag went off - oof.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
We shopped for the most reasonably sized seats we could find for this reason. We have a Britax which is of course the cadillac of safety. But it's the thickest most absurdly large seat possible (thanks wife). It stays in the Truck.

When I take the boy in the Mach, I grab his graco and toss that in instead. It's more compact. A bit of figuring and you can make it work
The swivel one we have in the CX-5 is a Graco and the one in the Ranger is a Graco. Believe it or not, but the Ranger still has a couple of notches until the front passenger seat is all the way up. It is an extended cab (two small suicide doors) and not the full 4-door.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I never had a car seat in my old Mustangs but did in my old E55 and E63. Those had somewhat small back seats. And disclaimer, my kids we both big so I had them front-facing by 1. I started with a Nuna Rava, which is monstrous. It took up a large amount of space, and in the E55 I was smashed against the steering wheel (I'm about 6'1"). SO I switched to a Graco Nautilus 65. Much better! I was able to move the seat to comfortable location and my kids' legs had space. In my current cars, I have the Graco in my Explorer. Obviously a bigger car but I wanted the smaller one there so people could walk past into the 3rd row. I put the Nuna in my wife's Range Rover Velar as there's no 3rd row so the large size is ok. My daughter (just turned 2, about 37" tall) is very comfortable in both.

But back to info that's relevant, by buddy had to borrow a car seat a few months ago when his sister and niece were in town. He used the Graco Nautilus 65 in his 2015 Mustang and he was just fine. He's 5'9".
My boy just had his 15 month appointment and is 35" tall. He will definitely be front-facing by 1. My wife will scream, but that is what we are doing.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My boy just had his 15 month appointment and is 35" tall. He will definitely be front-facing by 1. My wife will scream, but that is what we are doing.
The front facing was almost a requirement for my daughter. My son (5 now, in a booster) was great from day one in the car. My daughter always unleashed some type of inhuman banshee cry when she was facing backwards. I was ready to get the Vatican or the Warrens involved! But we flipped her facing forward, and she was back to an angel.

As far as the kiddo facing rearward until they're 14 or whatever modern parent "guidelines" are, I say people and babies have been on this world for thousands of years, and survived just fine. Our kids will survive just fine facing forward in a modern car with modern car seat tech.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Haven't read every single post, but see a few mentioning how much of a PITA rear facing would be...I think it would be easier than the forward facing if you have one of the types that just click into the base. Literally swing that bitch in and CLICK!

My son rides in the back of my Boss a few times a month and I hate ducking in to strap his ass in lol, but it's not bad. He's about 45" tall and has big feet, my wife who is 5' 8 can still sit comfortably in front seat when he's in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread