Simple Gurney Flap Question

trafficman337

Established Member
Took delivery last week on my car and it was ordered with the package that included the Gurney Flap and two other things that are not germane to the question. When I picked up the car, the Gurney Flap was not installed as my dealer told me it was for "Drag Purposes" and Ford has requested the dealer didn't install it. Anyhow, before I left, my sales person installed it for me. The simple question is when I got home, I realized there were screws in the packaging the Gurney Flap came in. My sales person used the screws that were already in rear spoiler prior to installing the flap. The thing seems secure and I am not a "track" guy, so the car will never go to a track and I am not concerned about it blowing off as I did 140 MPH, as that simply will never happen. Does anyone know if the screws on the existing spoiler are the same size as the ones included with the flap? I would much rather not have to get the special tool and chance slipping with it and scratching something. Any advice, or just let it go?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since, technically, the dealer installed it (without using the provided screws), I would go back and ask the question. If they are not the same, or the dealership doesn't know the answer, have them switch in the correct screws.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Took delivery last week on my car and it was ordered with the package that included the Gurney Flap and two other things that are not germane to the question. When I picked up the car, the Gurney Flap was not installed as my dealer told me it was for "Drag Purposes" and Ford has requested the dealer didn't install it. Anyhow, before I left, my sales person installed it for me. The simple question is when I got home, I realized there were screws in the packaging the Gurney Flap came in. My sales person used the screws that were already in rear spoiler prior to installing the flap. The thing seems secure and I am not a "track" guy, so the car will never go to a track and I am not concerned about it blowing off as I did 140 MPH, as that simply will never happen. Does anyone know if the screws on the existing spoiler are the same size as the ones included with the flap? I would much rather not have to get the special tool and chance slipping with it and scratching something. Any advice, or just let it go?
First off, are the screws self-tapping? Extra fasteners are a good thing. ;)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They are a simple Torx bit machine screw. The Gurney Flap comes with longer screws than what are preinstalled in the Swing spoiler from the factory. You should be using the longer ones in conjunction with the Gurney Flap.

The fasteners that Ford supplies with the Swing spoiler are an M6 x 1.0mm x 10mm UHL. The fasteners used with the Gurney Flap are M6 x 1.0mm x 15mm UHL. Use the appropriate fasteners if at all possible. Torx size is T20 for both.

Gurney.jpg

BC21421C-67FF-49F7-A97E-5654C4B80735.jpeg

trafficman337

Established Member
They are a simple Torx bit machine screw. The Gurney Flap comes with longer screws than what are preinstalled in the Swing spoiler from the factory. You should be using the longer ones in conjunction with the Gurney Flap.

The fasteners that Ford supplies with the Swing spoiler are an M6 x 1.0mm x 10mm UHL. The fasteners used with the Gurney Flap are M6 x 1.0mm x 15mm UHL. Use the appropriate fasteners if at all possible. Torx size is T20 for both.

View attachment 1708860

View attachment 1708862
Seriously, thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Make sure when they replace the screws that they didn’t damage the finish on the flap. The correct screws also come with washers to protect against damaging the finish on the flap.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Trafficman, just so you know, dealer advisory #SSM 49326 states that "The hardware for the Gurney flap has been released for service. A set of hardware to attach the Gurney flap is available by ordering part number KR3Z-63442K03-A."

You may want to share this with the dealer as some struggle to find the correct bolts.

Carbide

Established Member
I asked my dealer why it wasn't installed on my 2020 GT350 and they said the same thing.
Then I pointed out that my window sticker says "DEALER INSTALLED ACCESSORY"

So he consults the service Manager and he says fine, we will install it but you'll have to wait. It will be 4-5 hours.
I said "it's 4 damn screws"!

I said I'll do it myself then. Thanks for the support...

trafficman337

Established Member
Mystery solved. I changed all the bolts last night to the ones that were included with the flap. The size difference was substantial enough to have caused me some grief down the road. Thanks so much for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread