Slight grrring when taking off?

konakush

Established Member
12' GT, only "mod" is roush axle back. 6MT car.

When I take off from a stop sometimes from 0MPH-7/10MPH or so there's a slight grring noise, it's not too annoying and I think only the driver would notice it but it sounds kinda rough until about 10MPH.

It doesn't do it all the time but in the 10 days or so I've owned the car I'm finally starting to notice it. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, like the middle frontish area.

Any idea what this is before I have the dealership look? Thank you very much :beer:

Last edited:

konakush

Established Member
Man it's so light I don't even think my phone could pick it up.

Let me rephrase the question:

What would irregular drivetrain/line noise sound like? If I'm having a decent time with the transmission and there's no "mt82 supercharger-like whine" what might other transmission issues sound like?

Thanks!

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Man it's so light I don't even think my phone could pick it up.

Let me rephrase the question:

What would irregular drivetrain/line noise sound like? If I'm having a decent time with the transmission and there's no "mt82 supercharger-like whine" what might other transmission issues sound like?

Thanks!

clutch chatter. Are you pulling off in second?

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Sometimes, yes. 3.73.

Is this bad? Most MT cars I've had I've been able to pull away in second due to high final drives and a 6th gear.

Mine does it too, also 3.73 car. I use second alot. I don't think it hurts anything if at all it helps.. keeps the faceing deglazed. I guess it's from it being similar to a high performance clutch with stiffer springs and what not. Ford does a good job of hiding the horsepower in this car. After all, it is 425hp or better at the motor... and from my experience, it takes a pretty stout clutch to hold up to that kind of torque and repeated abuse.

Last edited:

konakush

Established Member
I found this on another forum, does this sound about right?

I've got the same issues. It's the "charm" of the car I suppose. Clutch will clunk just engaging and disengaing if you listen sitting still. First and second are quite noticeable. If you take off at 1k rpm with clutch fully engaged in first or second you're going to hear a slight "grinding" noise. I wouldn't say its actually grinding, but it doesn't sound pleasant. I'm ok with these flaws considering the Mustang is the cheapest car that goes as fast as it does while still offering a little luxury. I can live with it.

I can't say I've sat in the car and punched the clutch while it's sitting still but would you say the above is true for you, INEEDA_TERMI? (guess you don't now lol)

Last edited:

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I found this on another forum, does this sound about right?

I can't say I've sat in the car and punched the clutch while it's sitting still but would you say the above is true for you, INEEDA_TERMI? (guess you don't now lol)

Actually, I have heard the clutch clunk while sitting still. I would say it's true.

konakush

Established Member
Cool. Whew. Probably nothing to worry about. It's only something I (the driver) can hear/notice when:

1. Air off
2. Windows up
3. Radio off

Basically, dead silence. If you eliminate any of those 3 I can't hear it, though I do have an AB but I've been trying to drive dead slow to listen

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Cool. Whew. Probably nothing to worry about. It's only something I (the driver) can hear/notice when:

1. Air off
2. Windows up
3. Radio off

Basically, dead silence. If you eliminate any of those 3 I can't hear it, though I do have an AB but I've been trying to drive dead slow to listen

Dont worry about it, enjoy your car. Just try to bring the rpm's up a little more when engaging from a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread