Smart Phone Storage Help, Please

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought a new phone, Note20 Ultra...coming from my Note 8+.

I pulled the SD Card out of my old phone, it was a 32GB and only had 9GB of pictures and videos.

I put it in my new phone and it wouldn't pull over the photos or anything. I put the SD Card into my computer, pulled up all of the pictures and videos. I saved them from the SD Card to my hard drive. Then I reformatted the SD Card.

I attempted to move the pictures back over to the SD Card, and about every 50th photo or so, it would come up and say there was an issue and I would click "Try Again", then it would work.

I bought a new SD Card today, 512GB just because, and it does the same thing.

I did a test run of 200 or so, put the SD Card back into my phone and only about 50 pictures showed, the other 150 had white question marks.

What am I doing wrong, what can I do differently? Help.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
In before some apple schmuck says "buy an iphone."

I've never had any problems switching sd cards between any of my samsungs. God speed.

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In before some apple schmuck says "buy an iphone."

I've never had any problems switching sd cards between any of my samsungs. God speed.

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

I haven't either. It's incredibly strange. I'm on the second SD Card, doing the exact same thing. My next option is to upload to a cloud based system, then download on the phone.

RES0574

Established Member
I have had weird SD card problems between Samsung devices before. What class card do you have, and check that against the phone tech specs. In addition, I have had to reformat SD cards twice within the phone to make them functional. Format, then comfirm phone can access/share/read card, then reformat and confirm it can access/share/read again.

Back up whatever media you have as I have had cards become unusable when swapping between phones.

I have also had issues going between Windows and Android on some SD cards.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just for anyone reading along..

Currently uploading to Google Drive, then planning to download them (on the phone) to the SD Card... fingers crossed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When you get the error, are you seeing a gray bar over part of the photo, or question marks every time the issue pops up? You've tried other cards with your Note20 Ultra, but maybe you should try another Note20 Ultra to see if the phone is the issue. Just a thought

And are you using the latest OS version?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Just for anyone reading along..

Currently uploading to Google Drive, then planning to download them (on the phone) to the SD Card... fingers crossed.

Just made the same jump (well Note 8 to 20 Ultra badass phone btw). Why did you not just use smart switch? (Built in Samsung app) Just pair the phones and it sends everything wifi. Contacts, pics, etc. Used my last few upgrades works great. I think there is an option to use USB too.

Other option is just dropping them in you DCIM folder but the below app is way easier.

Edit:
Samsung Smart Switch

Edit 2: **** iphones. Good luck.

Edit 3: if this works i get a ride in the Viper?

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just made the same jump (well Note 8 to 20 Ultra badass phone btw). Why did you not just use smart switch? (Built in Samsung app) Just pair the phones and it sends everything wifi. Contacts, pics, etc. Used my last few upgrades works great. I think there is an option to use USB too.

Other option is just dropping them in you DCIM folder but the below app is way easier.

Edit:
Samsung Smart Switch

Edit 2: **** iphones. Good luck.

Edit 3: if this works i get a ride in the Viper?
I did use Smart Switch.

The issue arose once I wanted to change SD Cards.

My Viper only has one seat...

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I did use Smart Switch.

The issue arose once I wanted to change SD Cards.

My Viper only has one seat...

Best luck.

*walks away quietly*

I don't use SD cards so I think that is the limit of my knowledge. Sorry man.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Odd. My wife upgraded from a note 9+256gb to a UN20 and a 512. Had no issues transferring everything and on the new card.

Think she transferred everything to thr computer then to new SD card

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Uploading to Google Drive, then downloading to the phone and then moving to the SD Card worked.

Woohoo

ajaf1656

Established Member
I bought an iPhone 12, turned it on and it asked if I wanted to transfer everything from the iPhone6. I said yes and it just did everything automatically like some kind of magic. I'm a complete luddite, that is why I'm an Apple schmuck.

Dusten

Established Member
I bought an iPhone 12, turned it on and it asked if I wanted to transfer everything from the iPhone6. I said yes and it just did everything automatically like some kind of magic. I'm a complete luddite, that is why I'm an Apple schmuck.

Android has the same thing. It's called smart switch

What he was doing was using an external sd card to increase his storage. Something iphones don't allow.

Dusten

Established Member
Don't allow/ Don't need. Whatever. lol

Don't need is a judgement call.
The largest iphone is 256gb. If you need more or want more you're required to use cloud based storage.
Sd cards have been a staple of phones for a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread