Smelling antifreeze when I start the car

03cobra#116

Established Member
I'm smelling antifreeze when I start the Cobra after it has set a while, most likely from the exhaust.

I have some ideas what might cause this, but I thought I would come here to the source of all information. What could this be?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'm smelling antifreeze when I start the Cobra after it has set a while, most likely from the exhaust.

I have some ideas what might cause this, but I thought I would come here to the source of all information. What could this be?

If you're smelling coolant out the exhaust, blown headgasket. Check the oil and see what it looks like.

04Venom

Established Member
Agree, potentially the head gasket. If the coolant isn't on the ground and you can see the coolant dropping in level it may be going into the oil, which ain't good. Lost a bearing in another vehicle because of coolant leaking into the oil.

AROD

Established Member
I had the same problem. Could not find any leaks anywere. My car is down for a tranny rebuild and the problem was tha my stock radiator failed around the core. I think the epoxy died on the seal. It never driped until it sat there for over 2 weeks.

03cobra#116

Established Member
Maybe it was just my imagination. The oil looks just right and the coolant level is still at the top.

I'll keep watching and sniffing.

Users who are viewing this thread