Smog test...

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
...How many of you actually passed a smog test w/ an aftermarket c/b and aftermarket catted midpipe? I am due for a smog check in Feb. 09 and I'm running a MAC c/b and Bassani o/r x pipe, but I will be mounting the Bassani cats (new) to the midpipe during winter break. Will it pass smog??

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
...How many of you actually passed a smog test w/ an aftermarket c/b and aftermarket catted midpipe? I am due for a smog check in Feb. 09 and I'm running a MAC c/b and Bassani o/r x pipe, but I will be mounting the Bassani cats (new) to the midpipe during winter break. Will it pass smog??

bassani cats aren't smog legal. may pass either way.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
You'll only pass if they are C.A.R.B approved and in the factory location even then in CA its probably a crapshoot. Best bet is to find a stock midpipe with O.E. cats and keep that for when Smog comes around

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
You'll only pass if they are C.A.R.B approved and in the factory location even then in CA its probably a crapshoot. Best bet is to find a stock midpipe with O.E. cats and keep that for when Smog comes around

I figured... I guess I need to install my stock OEM air intake and take off the JLT RAI. I also have a 2.76 pulley....

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
I have the bassani x with cats, just passed smog last week. I have been tested at a Smog Only CA test station (rollers) every 2 years for the last 8 years and passed them all.

Believe me they inspect!! Unless the person doing the visual knows what he is looking for by just docking his head under the car……….He see’s cats…. that’s it…. end of story

It always passes emissions with flying colors….enough said :coolman:

When you go in for smog just hand over the car….fill out the paper work and keep your mouth shut about the car. Do not talk about your car in anyway, as far as your concerned it’s all stock:bored:

Last edited:

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
I have the bassani x with cats, just passed smog last week. I have been tested at a Smog Only CA test station (rollers) every 2 years for the last 8 years and passed them all.

Believe me they inspect!! Unless the person doing the visual knows what he is looking for by just docking his head under the car……….He see’s cats…. that’s it…. end of story

It always passes emissions with flying colors….enough said :coolman:

When you go in for smog just hand over the car….fill out the paper work and keep your mouth shut about the car. Do not talk about your car in anyway, as far as your concerned it’s all stock:bored:

Ahhh...I see. So, it'll pass w/ the JLT RAI and pullies too? Also, there was a rule of thumb when having a car smogged w/ new cats. I think it was to drive it for a few miles or so before getting it smogged? I'm not quite to sure if that's factual or false statement.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
i have passed with magnaflow x pipe with cats on my fox body since 03. i have a maggy mid pipe with cats on my L, haven't smogged it yet. when i had a 89 lx, the cel was on, it was the map sensor and egr, it had bassani x pipe with cats, i replace the cats with maggy's just to be on the safe side(got them at a killer price)

Enorbit3

Established Member
i had longtubes, catted prochamber, and mac catback on my old 2V...passed with no problem.

02saleen

Established Member
should pass not problem i passed with magnaflow catted x and magnaflow catback

i've heard of people not passing with their cats cold but idk:shrug:....just throwin it out there...might wana make sure that your cats are nice and hot before you get it smoged

Ace5Oh

Established Member
i had longtubes, catted prochamber, and mac catback on my old 2V...passed with no problem.

I tought Long Tube headers were illegal in the state of Ca? Won't that make you fail smog?

N I also heard to drive the car with the cats on for a month at least to clear the computer??

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
I passed smog by a hair....My following mods: 2.8 pulley with tensioner JLT CAI,accufab plenum and single blade throttle body, LFP heat exchanger with dual fans, magnaflow catted X pipe (only 2 cats supposed to have 4) mangaflow catback...custom tune. pass hc and co under one point and nox pretty well. I am a smog tech my self so I did smogged it at my job. In case the smog tech knows what he is looking at, If you have longtubes hopefully you have C.A.R.B numbers or else you will have to go to a referee station and that would not be nice , my buddy is going through hell right now on his car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ahhh...I see. So, it'll pass w/ the JLT RAI and pullies too? Also, there was a rule of thumb when having a car smogged w/ new cats. I think it was to drive it for a few miles or so before getting it smogged? I'm not quite to sure if that's factual or false statement.

depends on how anal the tech is. Id just swap the stock intake back on.

Also try to drive the car as hard as possible beforehand, it gets the cats really heated and a hot cat is a efficient one. Bottle of GTP (Guaranteed To Pass) wouldnt hurt either.

When i sold my cobra to 01bullitstrim on here, it wouldnt pass sniffer for nothing with the Bassani catted X and catback combo. It was on a mail-order tune though.

20psirabbit

Established Member
sometimes glowing isn't a matter of hot cats as much as it's an issue of richness/unburnt fuel. my buddy's car did it when he had a coilpack take a dump on him, his cat was red hot under the car, you could see it.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
sometimes glowing isn't a matter of hot cats as much as it's an issue of richness/unburnt fuel. my buddy's car did it when he had a coilpack take a dump on him, his cat was red hot under the car, you could see it.

That was my next guess being rich. Seems like since Ive put the smog pump on the air injection cleared it up. It blew clean the other day :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread