Smokeless fire pits

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I'm seeing companies advertising fire pits with virtually no smoke. I always thought the quality of the wood and how seasoned it is play the largest part in the smoke that's given off from your pit fire. Does anyone have experience with the solo stove or similar, that claims to not give off smoke due to its design?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I’ve got an original Solo Stove Yukon and recently also bought a Bonfire. It’s truly smokeless as soon as the fire gets going.

I’ve always loved sitting by a fire as a kid, but my health could no longer take the smell/smoke and I can’t stand my clothes smelling like smoke afterwards.

My wife found the Yukon last year and we love them both.

Be prepared for them to devour wood.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KingBlack

Established Member
That's great news. Happy to hear that the device lives up to the reputation from an independent source. My current fire pit creates a good bit of smoke when I use hard words because they can't seem to maintain the heat. Of the which do you prefer?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Make sure you write us a paper to review it

Or. Ask a question about something and then never mention it again

SLOWBRA

Established Member
That's great news. Happy to hear that the device lives up to the reputation from an independent source. My current fire pit creates a good bit of smoke when I use hard words because they can't seem to maintain the heat. Of the which do you prefer?

I saw this picture a while back and it’s a good resource. I’ve mainly been using pine and red oak. Check out the YouTube videos. Solo is a good value - others also make them now.

Shawn
IMG_1639.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Buddy of mine has several solo stoves. They are cool and work as advertised but I have 2 complaints with them. First is that they are very efficient so they burn through wood like crazy. Second is that due to the design, you only get heat by standing over the fire, there is no radiant heat given off the sides or at the bottom. So if it’s cold out and you’re sitting in a chair, your feet and legs will still be cold. They’re pretty to look at but not functional enough for the price in my opinion

KingBlack

Established Member
Buddy of mine has several solo stoves. They are cool and work as advertised but I have 2 complaints with them. First is that they are very efficient so they burn through wood like crazy. Second is that due to the design, you only get heat by standing over the fire, there is no radiant heat given off the sides or at the bottom. So if it’s cold out and you’re sitting in a chair, your feet and legs will still be cold. They’re pretty to look at but not functional enough for the price in my opinion
good info here

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
New house is only going to be propane fire pit and propane indoor fireplace. No wood. Can't stand smoke, ashes, and putting it out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you're going to love a propane indoor fireplace. I used to love burning wood in our fireplace but the smoke was a pain. We bought a $6K propane setup that was well worth the price. So convenient, and it throws off sufficient heat (if we want) to heat our family room. No more smoke, ashes and putting out the fire.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bob, thats the most Anti-New England thing ive ever heard.....:p Just not the same without the cracking sound of burning wood.

I think you're going to love a propane indoor fireplace. I used to love burning wood in our fireplace but the smoke was a pain. We bought a $6K propane setup that was well worth the price. So convenient, and it throws off sufficient heat (if we want) to heat our family room. No more smoke, ashes and putting out the fire.

nickf2005

Established Member
From what I've seen of them (which isn't much), they seem gimmicky. As stated above, you're blocking the primary radius of usable/desirable heat. And you're doing it very quickly, almost literally burning your dollars.

If you build a traditional fire, in either a pit, stand, whatever, you just need to start with good kindling to establish a viable and hot coal bed. Then, you have to use adequately seasoned and dry firewood. Smoke comes from either wet fuel (wood) or cold coals. Load the cold coals with wet wood and you've got a real smoke show.

Trust me, we've build about every size fire imaginable on a collective 30 acres and you can have a nice mallow roaster with minimal smoke if you do it right... you can do the same with a pile of dead ash the size of a small building too.

Snapchat-73382285.jpeg
20201002_194911.jpeg
20200414_205728.jpeg
20141231_175101.jpeg
20160625_220607.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nickf2005

Established Member
40 acres here, my pit moves around the yard to burn out stumps.View attachment 1672858
Not to pick on you because I don't think you really cared if you had smoke, but this looks to be a good example of a coal bed that wasn't quite hot enough for as much wood that was loaded.

Eventually it'll burn, but there's gonna be smoke with it. I usually do the same thing because I'm impatient and don't care if there's smoke.

1o1proof

Established Member
Best thing I have spent money on in awhile was a natural gas fire pit. They are clean burning like propane but have no bottles to change out. Ours is a 36" round burner, built into my patio and fed from the natural gas line going to the house. It puts out plenty of heat for those setting around it, flames from 3" to 3' high, it just depends on how much you open the valve. Obviously it will not put off as much radiant heat as a good wood fire, but the convenience easily won me over.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Not to pick on you because I don't think you really cared if you had smoke, but this looks to be a good example of a coal bed that wasn't quite hot enough for as much wood that was loaded.

Eventually it'll burn, but there's gonna be smoke with it. I usually do the same thing because I'm impatient and don't care if there's smoke.

It actually had a large bed of hot coals, that fire had been burning for hours. I just added all of the wood you see, to much at one time, probably so. I'm guessing I was 8-10 beers deep by this point, and don't really care about the smoke lol.

nickf2005

Established Member
It actually had a large bed of hot coals, that fire had been burning for hours. I just added all of the wood you see, to much at one time, probably so. I'm guessing I was 8-10 beers deep by this point, and don't really care about the smoke lol.
Brother from another mother. We'd get along great. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread