• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

SN95 GEN3 Coyote/10R80 SWAP

Discussion in 'SN-95 and New Edge Mustangs' started by Bee, May 2, 2020.

1. Bee

Bee New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm researching a Coyote swap for my SN95 Convertible. It's a 98 GT so I know a Tubular K-Member is recommended and I'm all set for fuel delivery. I Also know PBH make the necessary brackets for the power steering and such. My big concern is transmission. Currently I have a 4R70W with a B&M shifter. I'm disabled so I need to stay automatic. I really want to use the 10R80 but I'm not sure if it will fit in the body without major surgery. I already have a source for a 2020 GT with the 10R that was severely rear-ended. Luckily the trans seems intact and unharmed. Does anyone know if the tranny will fit? If so, what kind of support can I expect? Shifter options? Tail mounts? Fluid Coolers? I can't seem to find anything. My plan is to use the factory control packs unless there is good reason to use otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.

2. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

I believe ‘that1320chick’ on You Tube is doing that exact swap.
    If you have a donor GT, I’d still call PBH first as they will your best resource.
    Good luck
    -J

3. Bee

Bee New Member

Thanks! Any information is helpful.

4. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Why 10r80? The 6r80 has stronger parts available and has gone WAYYYY faster on average and is much easier to locate and PBH has done numerous ones. There is no billet planetary or sprag for the 10r80.

5. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

It’s a Vert SN95, me thinks a built 10R Gen3 combo is going to be more than enough :)
    -J

me32 likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee New Member

The 10R is what's in the 2020 GT, I can get the entire car for $5500 but as I said, EVERYTING from the back seats rearward is smashed to pieces. Broadsided by a dump truck that ran a red light.

me32 likes this.
  7. Bee

Bee New Member

Yeah it's a ragtop. Had it since new, Nov. 97. 265K on the clock. All the usual leaks and thrust bearings are starting to growl around 4500 RPM. So it's time for a rebuild at the very least. After pricing a new crate 4.6 and 4R70 it comes out the around the same to buy the wrecked GT and it only has 1800 miles on it.

me32 likes this.
  8. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

The swap would be awsome.

biminiLX likes this.
  9. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Well-Known Member Established Member

This would be so bad ass. Do it!

me32 and biminiLX like this.
  10. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Then that sounds like a killer deal go for it!

11. Twisted2v

Twisted2v Active Member Established Member

Schrader performance has a 6r80 swap guide and crossmember. That’s probably your best starting point with the 10 speed.

Let us know how it goes.

12. Bee

Bee New Member

Thanks! I'll look it up and see what they have. I did find out I can't use the factory controller. Too many suspension and chassis mounted sensors to move over. However, I did find a replacement at US Shift.com. Sadly, the same applies to the engine control pack too. That replacement id widely available from LMR, PBH, and American Muscle.