Snow Tires in Summer

Ghost11

Established Member
So my son slapped on some Snow Tires on his Mazda 6 last winter...Does he need to buy some regular all seasons for the summer or just continue using the Winter Tires?

Thanks...

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
OMG I had my Blizzaks on last year for about a month into the summer time and they were destroyed in 4 weeks lol.

Any temp over 50 degrees will kill snow tires really quick! They are designed to be soft when its cold so they bite but in the warm weather they degrade really fast and become dangerous! I blew out the inner sidewall as the belts were showing lol.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on where you live, tire brand/type, type of driving, and how many miles.

The winter tire life will be less, regardless.

I have winter tires (Michelin X-Ice) on my 08 V6 convertible and my 02 WRX that I run all year. It's in Wisconsin, so high temps are in the mid 80s and around 3-5k miles per year. The wear rate is reasonable and will likely get 4-5 years of use from them.

Edit: Two other cars I have run all-weather tires all year (not all-season) and I expect to get around 45-50k miles out of them, or double the life of the winter tires with 90% of the benefit of winter tires on snow, less on ice.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Compounds are different for various climates. A summer tire will become hard and crack severely if driven in too cold a climate.

As stated, winter tires are soft when the temps goes up. If your son daily drives this car, a set of warm season wheels and tires would be in order. If money aint a thang, just drive it.

Bronze123

Established Member
Rule of thumb, typically winter stay on thanksgiving to Easter.

highly recommend to buy another set of wheels. To save you the hassle of waiting to install only tires. Bolt on and off at your convenience.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Compounds are different for various climates. A summer tire will become hard and crack severely if driven in too cold a climate.

As stated, winter tires are soft when the temps goes up. If your son daily drives this car, a set of warm season wheels and tires would be in order. If money aint a thang, just drive it.
That's one reason why I store my G-70 from late November - March. I have summer tires (soft compound) and prefer not to mount winter tires since I wouldn't drive it much during the winter months. I do take it out mid March when temps are 30-40, but not for long jaunts. It isn't recommended that I drive with those tires with temps below 40.

jayk17

Established Member
If winter is not severe in your place, just choose a good set of all-season tires that you can use all year round.

q6543

Established Member
I took my snow tires to the race track last spring , after the burnout you could HEAR them sticking up to the staging lanes. It was hilarious and we all had a good laugh... did a SUPER smoky white burnout too.

Unfortunately this was on my focus ST.. ran low 14s fwiw.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Put Blizzaks or Michelin Ice something or another on our 2011 Malibu. Drove it year round and didn't have any significant wear issues. Sold the car to in-laws and I believe they’re still cruising on the same tires.

Not sure what kind of mileage has been put on the tires, but it’s been at least 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread