So!!! 2013 GT500 exhaust on 2011 5.0, guess what?!

RusWolf

Established Member
Thanks to my brother!!! After good 7-8 hours it's ON !

Tomorrow just going to do some more work with soldering iron, after that will plasti-dip the lower valance for cosmetic reasons and we are going to look like they came from the factory !

P.S. Roush are for sale PM for details. (will sell for pretty cheap and don't want to clean them)

UPDATE: Pics are up ! I think i will later on peel off the plasti dip and sand the cut line some more. It felt smooth to the touch but after i sprayed it i am able to tell where it was cut. However its fine for now and overall i'm very happy how it turned out!

WP_20130511_005_zpsb3d55b59.jpg

WP_20130511_007_zpsd37b2991.jpg

WP_20130511_008_zps73df4a3a.jpg

WP_20130511_012_zps9280f3bc.jpg

test fitting.

WP_20130511_013_zps86e5774d.jpg

almost done

WP_20130512_003_zpsfec9f8ea.jpg

Did some sanding after that and went at it with plasti dip.

WP_20130513_011_zps6ab870f1.jpg

WP_20130513_010_zps84392e2c.jpg

WP_20130513_004_zps26c743db.jpg

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
7-8 hours? Did you take a nap during the install? I did mine yesterday in about 45 mins.

Lol nope no nap :)

You did it in 45 because you have a 13 and all you have to do is just swap the valance.

I on the other hand re-fabricated the lower bumper. That's why it took me nearly 8 hours due to fabricating, measuring, adjusting, test fitting etc...

NickSezz

Established Member
7-8 hours? Did you take a nap during the install? I did mine yesterday in about 45 mins.

2013 GT500 has a completely different rear bumper/lower valance than the 2011 body. His job was a lot more extensive than yours!

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Curious to know what the soldering was for?

CorDog009

Established Member
I did the GT500's with the single tips. I'd love the duals, but didn't wanna pay for the valance at the moment. Ahh..sounds like you had your hands full.

RusWolf

Established Member
2013 GT500 has a completely different rear bumper/lower valance than the 2011 body. His job was a lot more extensive than yours!

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Curious to know what the soldering was for?

yeah you got it :)

Soldering iron you won't believe... but i'm using it to melt and bond the plastic back together in some spots lol Won't tell too much now.
Once i'll post pics i want you guys to tell if it look OEM or not.. In my eyes it look as close to OEM as you can get it without custom fabricating the whole piece as 1.

NickSezz

Established Member
yeah you got it :)

Soldering iron you won't believe... but i'm using it to melt and bond the plastic back together in some spots lol Won't tell too much now.
Once i'll post pics i want you guys to tell if it look OEM or not.. In my eyes it look as close to OEM as you can get it without custom fabricating the whole piece as 1.

I always like to see when someone innovates.

I have been waiting myself for someone to release a lower valance that makes this swap easier.

Congrats and applauds :thumbsup:

RusWolf

Established Member
I always like to see when someone innovates.

I have been waiting myself for someone to release a lower valance that makes this swap easier.

Congrats and applauds :thumbsup:

Yeah i was tired of waiting lol and besides when and IF they will ever release the valance it will probably be some crazy price.

If someone is not able to fabricate him or herself i can't even imagine what a shop would charge for a job like this. it took my brother an I THAT many hours. A shop charge would be around $700-$800 to do the same thing.

I told my brother we should do this on a side for around $300-$400 ($50 an hour rate). Question is, whos going to pay $400 to install an exhaust on a mustang.

NickSezz

Established Member
Yeah i was tired of waiting lol and besides when and IF they will ever release the valance it will probably be some crazy price.

If someone is not able to fabricate him or herself i can't even imagine what a shop would charge for a job like this. it took my brother an I THAT many hours. A shop charge would be around $700-$800 to do the same thing.

I told my brother we should do this on a side for around $300-$400 ($50 an hour rate). Question is, whos going to pay $400 to install an exhaust on a mustang.

Not many if any lol. This is just one of those jobs where you pat yourself on the back knowing its one-of-a-kind done by you.

If you want to TRY and profit form it, sell your hand made valance to a molding company that can copy it and mass produce. Still a long shot.

Where are the pics already??!!

RusWolf

Established Member
Not many if any lol. This is just one of those jobs where you pat yourself on the back knowing its one-of-a-kind done by you.

If you want to TRY and profit form it, sell your hand made valance to a molding company that can copy it and mass produce. Still a long shot.

Where are the pics already??!!

hmm Patent.....lol

Anyway, pics are going to be on tomorrow i still want to perfect the molds, smooth them out and paint with flat black plasti-dip to mask the molding lines.

P.S. I'm not EXACTLY sure, but i think i'm the first 2011/2012 model with 2013 GT500 exhaust!

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
hmm Patent.....lol

Anyway, pics are going to be on tomorrow i still want to perfect the molds, smooth them out and paint with flat black plasti-dip to mask the molding lines.

P.S. I'm not EXACTLY sure, but i think i'm the first 2011/2012 model with 2013 GT500 exhaust!

You may be the first! At least on the forums to my knowledge.

My one recommendation; If your body work is good, don't use plasti dip.. That stuff looks good in pics but 90% of the time you see it in person it looks blah. If you don't need its thick, sin-hiding properties, use a good paint to finish your work.

Just a suggestion.

Nuar

Established Member
I've done my share of plastic welding on motorcycle fairings. If done right, it can look great. Looking forward to the finished pics.
Hell, even some in the process pics would be awesome man.

RusWolf

Established Member
Pics of a completed job will be tomorrow, i did not get a chance to paint it today.
Just dipped the exhaust, finished off the cuts with JB weld for plastic. Tomorrow going to sand everything down and dip it. Should be looking good.

I have picture of progress. i can post those but id rather just post all at once.

And i've seen magnaflow quads and did not like how they looked.
I wanted pipes from 13/14 GT500, now that its almost done IF i ever will want something else i can just get any quad exhaust for 13/14 shelby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread