So, correct me if I am wrong, but the 2018 F-150 has SIX motor options.

davidbettencour

Established Member
I'm looking to pick up an F-150 myself, but I've read terrible reviews about the Ecoboost, like you never get the gas mileage, power loss issues, PVC issues, rattle on start-up, and oil leaks just to name a few. I also read that towing isn't that great. Is the 2018 going to address all of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusten

Established Member
Gonna agree with Travis on the cloth seats. The leather can become very sweaty here.
The new F150's have different foam for the clotch vs leather I swear. The new leather seats are just better to sit in from a comfort stand point

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Not sure who gave you that information. I've put 50,000 miles on my 2015 F150 Screw 3.5EB and about 15,000 miles of it towing. I have not had one issue. My truck is a bolt on/tune truck. I get 15.7 in mixed driving and can get 19 on the highway when driving the speed limit. When you get into boost obviously the MPG's go down but my EB gets 5+MPG better mileage than the 2011 Screw I had with the 6.2 engine and the same configuration as my current truck. The truck tows as good or better than my 6.2 did and gets better mpg while doing it.

I'm looking to pick up an F-150 myself, but I've read terrible reviews about the Ecoboost, like you never get the gas mileage, power loss issues, PVC issues, rattle on start-up, and oil leaks just to name a few. I also read that towing isn't that great. Is the 2018 going to address all of this?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

I agree with what Sonic says.

I have 20k on my 15 SCREW EB and love it. I avg 18mpg commuting to work. I just drove to PA and got 20mpg going up. I have noticed cooler/denser air can bring mpg down a touch.

I have had no power loss issues, PCV problems, or oil leaks. The only thing I have needed was a new windshield and a recalibration of the transmission.

When I first bought the truck it got 15-16mpg but has increased with break in. The truck is extremely quiet and comfortable (I have a Lariat FX4 with max tow).

I get better gas mileage than the 11 Ranger I traded in and can tow over twice as much. I think people were expecting 25-30mpg. Show me a V6 in a midsize truck getting that.

Sent from Josh's sparkly pocket

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Sounds like you've been reading a bunch of horror stories. That's not what I would call typical.

The new F150's have different foam for the clotch vs leather I swear. The new leather seats are just better to sit in from a comfort stand point

I'm pretty sure you're right. The cloth seats seem to have firmer foam.

davidbettencour

Established Member
Good info. Thanks. I'll start to look at them a lot more now. I'm starting to think those people simply expected more or just didn't know how to drive, or beat on the trucks and then complain when something breaks.

I've only been looking at 8 cylinder super crew FX4's since reading those reviews. With this new info, I will go back and reconsider.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The rattle of chain has never been given a straight point from what I read. It has gone through some TSB changes, the latest is for phrasers/chain replacement and applies through early model 2015's, then the latest design applied to "fix it". However reading on forums, only early, 11 into 12s typically experience this issue. The latest TSB, the truck just has to make the noise and they fix it if under warranty. I think it is due to bad oil.

the 3.5 and PCV....you get a lot of oil/water mix in intercooler. Fixes include, cleaning, drilling a small hole in intercooler and catch can system or all of the above.

a blown 5.0 would be faster, you make what 500+ on pump gas? Blowers are expensive + adding pump gears and supporting mods. There are currently turbo and fuel upgrades for ecos now.

KushBandit

Established Member

I'll back up your claims. My father has a '13 F150 3.5EB and it has never got the estimated MPG, even with the 3.15 axle ratio.

During humid weather, the intercooler would accumulate condensation inside that mixed with the oil the PCV vented. That was an easy fix though, as stated above.

On hot days, the PCM would pull timing like it was going out of style. It has about 120,000mi now and has recently developed the timing chain rattle on cold starts. Bone stock with regular maintenance, and it's never leaked a drop of oil. Can't speak for towing, I got a Powerstroke for that.

It's been a great truck despite the small issues.

Users who are viewing this thread