So I let my car sit forever without starting it...

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
What do I need to do to get it rolling again? Do I need to change the oil before trying to start it? Obviously I need to dump the fuel and drain the lines/tank, but I had a fresh oil change of Mobil 1 sitting in there.

Do I have to dump it just to start it? It's not that big of a deal, I am just curious.

I think I remember someone telling me I can get the oil primed into the engine by trying to start it with the injectors unplugged a few times. Is this accurate?

Is there anything I need to watch out for or be aware of as a concern? It sat for about 16 months.

pacific4v

Established Member
On newer fords you can hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking the engine and it won't start but it'll build oil pressure. I don't know if it'll work on cars as old as ours tho, I've never tried it on my personal car, just customer's cars

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
On newer fords you can hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking the engine and it won't start but it'll build oil pressure. I don't know if it'll work on cars as old as ours tho, I've never tried it on my personal car, just customer's cars

Where do you work?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Just start the car as if you drove it yesterday.

X2

My car has been sitting for 6 months.. other than using a jumpbox to give the battery some extra boost I'll be starting it normally. The battery was unplugged the whole winter and the battery is at 8V... wtf? lol hmm

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member

This works. When I first start mine in the spring I leave a battery charger on it, hold the pedal to the floor, and crank it for a few seconds before lettinoff the gas pedal. As soon as you let off the gas pedal it fires right up. I dont know if its completely necessary, but it certainly doesnt hurt.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
It would be better to start the car as it sits without changing the oil....here's why.

If you drain the oil, it will take longer to build up a prime in the oil pump because the filter, pickup tube and pan went dry.

Just start it like normal.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
On newer fords you can hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking the engine and it won't start but it'll build oil pressure.

This method never builds any significant oil pressure. I tried it when I fired my new engine for the first time. I have a mechanical gauge on the car and the needle never moved off of zero. And yes, the gauge works.

KzooMuscle

Established Member
It would be better to start the car as it sits without changing the oil....here's why.

If you drain the oil, it will take longer to build up a prime in the oil pump because the filter, pickup tube and pan went dry.

Just start it like normal.

But it IS recommended to get some fresh oil in there relatively soon though currect? I've been told to change the oil as soon as I pull it out of from winter storage.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Definitely.
Let it warm up them change the oil.

Cool. I got it started and tracked down all the noises. I had two 8 rib pulleys on there that weren't spaced from when I was fooling around with putting an 8 rib kit on. Like I said, it's been a while.... Anyway, they were the tensioneer and idler pulley so that's wherer the noise was coming from.

I can't get it to idle right now, but I think that's either a vaccum leak somewhere, fouled O2 sensors, or the fact I have 60 lb injectors in there with no tune. I had a Pro M mass air sitting around that it supposed to be tuned for the 60lb injectors, but they didn't even write the correct siae MAF on their little tag, so who knows..

Users who are viewing this thread