So I replaced the Fox this weekend..

Papaw

Established Member
The real performance advantage of these cars is their light weight. A 400hp stroker (easily and reliably done) makes them a rocket ship! Enjoy.

Papaw

Established Member
And make sure you hold on to all of the unique 64 1/2 parts, the hood is one of them.
They can be worth some money on the used market. They may be just the part some restorer is looking for.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
haha...a grown man asking his father if it's okay to buy a car...lmao

Not at all what I said. I asked him to look with me and see what he saw that he thought was solid/a good buy. We do a lot of this stuff together, so we tend to help each other spend money and get the others opinion before we go and drop coin. Helps avoid mistakes.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Thanks folks. It should be fun.

It's funny that most of everyone's opinion is about the financial side of it. I have every intention of taking the Disc system, new grab-a-track suspension, cleaning out the old tank, throwing the car back together, and driving it around with rust holes. Then repair rust as I move along.

It's by no means a frame off, car gets put on a rotisserie, blasted, etc. type build. I've done that a few times. It's more fun doing it this way.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Not at all what I said. I asked him to look with me and see what he saw that he thought was solid/a good buy. We do a lot of this stuff together, so we tend to help each other spend money and get the others opinion before we go and drop coin. Helps avoid mistakes.
gotcha. either way, its good you have someone that wants to actively assist with the process

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Lots of options out there are much better than the grab-a-track stuff. StreetOrTrack is the place to go if you want to get serious about handling and braking, even with 15” wheels if you like the vintage look. Seeing your Fox notch I’m sure this will turn out nice. Good luck!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Should be a great and fun project. Good luck!
Get well soon too man. I started feeling crappy on Friday. Now, I have a cold. Damn co-workers!!!! lol

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
347 stroker, 9", 4 spd. 4 wheel disc brakes, Maier Racing suspension and call it done. Interior and paint if you wanna go that route last.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'd love to build a 1st Gen. I would do a Trans am/NASCAR road race style, with wide tires, 408w with a giant cam,TKO600, 9 inch, gutted interior, side exit exhaust, etc. Purely analog, loud, obnoxious AF drivers car. Good luck with it.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
347 stroker, 9", 4 spd. 4 wheel disc brakes, Maier Racing suspension and call it done. Interior and paint if you wanna go that route last.
just curious, why 9" over 8.8? a stock block 347 wont get anywhere near maxing out the 8.8. is it the look?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
just curious, why 9" over 8.8? a stock block 347 wont get anywhere near maxing out the 8.8. is it the look?

Good question. Certain 9” rears (like Lincoln Versailles) are a bolt in - correct housing width and spring perches line up. Most aftermarket brake upgrades are set up for the 9” over the 8.8”. If you are good at narrowing rears you can go the 8.8 route and use a disc brake rear - but those brakes aren’t track-ready. Fine for street duty though. Part of the challenge with the early cars is researching all the possible upgrades and choosing what the heck you want to do. Oh - and finding a way to pay for it all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread