So I was thinking....

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I have had this idea floating around in my head. It started a few months ago when Iowa, Missouri and outher states were getting flooded so badly.

I have an idea for a massive public works project. It would help our country in several ways I think. So we seem to have massive flooding in the Mississippi valley every year. We also seem to have a pretty substantial lack of water every year in the southwest. I was thinking that we could create a few pretty large reservoirs in the Mississippi Valley Spread them out to where they are just north of the major metropolitan areas. In the spring you drain them down to a reasonable level, but one which allows for a lot of storage in flooding events, the could be connected to the mississippi via gates and canals.

Now here's where the expensive part and the good part is, when you're draining them down, instead of just releasing the water into the river you move the water, via canals and large pumping stations, west to the northern end of the Colorado river basin. You could also discharge the water in other areas on it's way, for example, western Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming, etc, to help with agriculture.

This project would solve three pretty serious problems:

1. It would help reduce the chances of another significant flooding event in the mississippi basin.
2. It would help reduce the risk of the south west drying up. And also help make areas in the plains more productive.
3. Having a large public works project that would also benefit the people of this country, would be an economic benefit to this country.

Now I know that I will get alot of who's going to pay for this type responses, but the cost could be paid for by increasing water usage fees in the southwest (which I am paying some of myself). Recreational fees on the new reservoirs. The pumps could be run with wind, hydroelectric and solar power. This would proabably be the most expensive public works project of all time, but it could potentially provide many benefits to our country.

We have a power network, communications network, why not a water network?

Users who are viewing this thread