So \i'm at a loss... Cam sensor problems.

Krace

Established Member
I did a pull on a open road and the car popped codes p0365, p0369 and p0390, p0394. Car idles rough and sounds like it has a ghost cam tune. I've tried a lot of things to help narrow it down, but im coming up short on what can be causing it....
Some of the things i have tried are reinstalling tune,checking for vacuum leaks/boost leaks, pulled and checked the cam exhaust sensors (replaced them anyway), checked cam sensor wires to ECU, checked fuses, alternator had bad diodes so it was replaced and battery is new as of now.
If i unplug the cam sensors (exhaust side is B i think) i don't have a change in idle or sound. Also if i clear codes they just come back with in seconds.

2014 Mustang GT auto 14k miles

Codes:
P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Bank 1
P0369 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent Bank 1
P0390 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Bank 2
P0394 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent Bank 2

My Mod list:
Circle D 3c Convertor
2 Relay Trans-brake Mod
MSD 2 Step
Paxton Novi 2200sl 10.5psi
Kooks mid length Headers
3" off road X pipe dumped
E85, ID1000s, JMS BAP 20v
TSS tuned

Any help will be appreciated!

hand-filer

Established Member
Have you talked to your tuner? That would be my first course of action. I wouldn't rule out a possible issue with the crankshaft position sensor either.

Krace

Established Member
Have you talked to your tuner? That would be my first course of action. I wouldn't rule out a possible issue with the crankshaft position sensor either.
Naw i have not , the car has been running on the same tune for 2 years now and it's been flawless. Not much they can do in a different state. Something broke on the car that was sudden. I'm willing to guess its electrical or mechanical, not tune related in anyway. I'll have to take a look at the crankshaft sensor too i guess, even though the trouble codes don't mention it.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I also going to go ahead and replace the intake cam sensors and check the wiring to them as well, to rule them out.

clinton2003

Established Member
phaser could have failed, or solenoid. i'd start by replacing the 2 solenoids on that bank, just as a precaution. they are much cheaper than the phaser's... also check the wiring, may have failed.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Naw i have not , the car has been running on the same tune for 2 years now and it's been flawless. Not much they can do in a different state. Something broke on the car that was sudden. I'm willing to guess its electrical or mechanical, not tune related in anyway. I'll have to take a look at the crankshaft sensor too i guess, even though the trouble codes don't mention it.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I also going to go ahead and replace the intake cam sensors and check the wiring to them as well, to rule them out.
Curious to hear what happened. Have you fixed the issue?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

twistedneck

Established Member
Kinda hard for me to type out how i came to the concussion. But in the end, i found out it skipped timing from warndown teeth on the crank timing sprocket.

Holy cow was it a busted tooth? or did the chain stretch out from the crazy surging on the valvetrain?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Kinda hard for me to type out how i came to the concussion. But in the end, i found out it skipped timing from warndown teeth on the crank timing sprocket.

Your car has 14k miles and the teeth were worn down? Any chance you have a pic of the sprocket, id like to see how its worn causing it to skip. Thanks.

clinton2003

Established Member
be sure to replace your tensioners, wondering if one of those failed causing the excessive wear/skipping. maybe got low on oil pressure? idk

Reaper14

Established Member
This was mine at 25k mi before I boosted. I felt like it should not have that much wear at that milage, but it did.
Screenshot_20180118-163634.jpeg

V.C

twistedneck

Established Member
That is telling. A huge amount of wear fOr NA only that means mine must be smoked i have 36k miles.

Do u think its a coyote trait? Was this typical on mod motors i wonder?

Reaper14

Established Member
I dont know, but it makes me wonder how many miles I should go before I change it again later. I know the new one is billet, but it is also boosted now.

V.C

Users who are viewing this thread