So sick of exhaust leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefe

Established Member
So as i reassembled it I noticed something, it seems as if the stock flange on the stock studs limits how tight you can get the flange, the pipe feels tight but I would feel better if I could tighten it more..

Oh ya those studs were a pain on mine too. Its gotta be lined up perfectly to tighten it as far as you can. Still dont think mine were as tight as they could be

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Oh ya those studs were a pain on mine too. Its gotta be lined up perfectly to tighten it as far as you can. Still dont think mine were as tight as they could be

Some after-market mid-pipes have you pull those studs out and use bolts. Much better way to tighten that side down since you don't have to worry about the flange hitting the seats on those studs. It's just too bad they can be a bitch to get out...

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I am getting ready to try the copper RTV this week on my Bassani X. Is there supposed to be a gasket where the X bolts up to the stock manifold? If so, should I use a Ford gasket or is there a better brand to go with? Thanks in advance!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I am getting ready to try the copper RTV this week on my Bassani X. Is there supposed to be a gasket where the X bolts up to the stock manifold? If so, should I use a Ford gasket or is there a better brand to go with? Thanks in advance!

You don't use RTV between the mid-pipe and the stock manifolds. It would be for the cylinder-head-to-exhaust-manifold sealing. If you are using the OEM exhaust manifolds, the only gasket you need is on the passenger side. It's around $10 from Ford.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Also maybe consider better clamps such as walker band clamps. I plan on switching to those and hopefully making a better seal on the whole exhaust.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Band clamps are the way to go. Had them on my previous Fox and am using them for the tail-pipes on my '03 (makes them easily removeable).

Here they were on the x-pipe:

HPIM0843.gif

You can somewhat see another one on the tail-pipe right behind the muffler:

HPIM0798-1.gif

So much for staying on topic...

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
Those clamps dont keep the pipes from leaking at the manifolds which is where like all the leaks come from.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Those clamps dont keep the pipes from leaking at the manifolds which is where like all the leaks come from.

If your still running that upr or/x pipe that could be the problem. That midpipe on on my car upon purchase and it had an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Took it off and the damn upr pipe didn't even have a groove for the oem gasket to sit in!

006-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
if you can get a remflex for that application, i would use them, they have been best investment for me and dreaded leaks
COLLECTOR/CONNECTOR Flange Exhaust Gasket
where i have had leaks and replaced with remflex, i haven't had a problem.
my vehicles seem to be exhaust leak problem chillds.
i also use those band clamps anywhere i can, pick em up at the napa, they work for me
http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/rf3034.htm
http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/rf3019.htm
http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/171.htm

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
Yea my upr pipe doesn't have the receiving groove either... I used a ton of copper on both flanges and it appears to be sealing decently

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Where is most of you having leaks.Manifold to midpipe or midpipe to catback?
Do you replace the gaskets an put copper rtv on one side or both sides of gasket?
Does the copper RTV go on the flang surface and the holes around that the bolts go in,then wipe away excess?

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
I have a dreaded leak on my xpipe to manifold on the passenger side. the pypes xpipe doesn't have the groove either for the gasket to sit properly .

Will rtv hold up long term in this location or do the manifolds get to hot ?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have a dreaded leak on my xpipe to manifold on the passenger side. the pypes xpipe doesn't have the groove either for the gasket to sit properly .

Will rtv hold up long term in this location or do the manifolds get to hot ?

Nice, only 4.5 years old. Not a record though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread