So someone stole my credit card info...

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
So I think someone took down my numbers, when i was at Buffalo Wild Wings. Anyway the credit card called me and asked me if i made three charges which i didnt: gamefly subscription, magazine subscription, and a credit check thing.

My question: can they get any valuable info through the credit check thing? I've got really good credit, and i dont need anything like this messing it up. Thanks guys :beer:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
You know, one of those free credit report.com things thats not really free. Where u pay a monthly fee to get your credit report....havent u guys seen the comercials?!?!

endless381

Established Member
Damn I just watched a show lastnite about a guy that stole peoples credit card info then made new cards an was making $1000 a day doing it.But he got caught an now is doing 13years in prison

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Damn I just watched a show lastnite about a guy that stole peoples credit card info then made new cards an was making $1000 a day doing it.But he got caught an now is doing 13years in prison

Great story lol

OP, do you mean can the person who stole it check your credit report? or do you mean can you check your report to see if the thief has done any damage?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
So I think someone took down my numbers, when i was at Buffalo Wild Wings. Anyway the credit card called me and asked me if i made three charges which i didnt: gamefly subscription, magazine subscription, and a credit check thing.

My question: can they get any valuable info through the credit check thing? I've got really good credit, and i dont need anything like this messing it up. Thanks guys :beer:

I doubt they did a credit check on you, they would need your SSN among other forms of I.D.

They probably did a credit check on themselves, which is quite an odd thing to use someone else's credit card on....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If they were able get a credit report on you, it was done for a reason. He could now have all of your credit history. I doubt they would pay for their own credit check. So yes, I would be concerned! Contact your credit card company ASAP and discuss this with them. While the reports do not contain complete credit account numbers, there is considerable personal information that could be useful to a thief. Again, they bought the service for a reason. And they intend to use it as best they can. Not good.

Last edited:

cobrkilrl

Established Member
I would call the bank that manages all your credit, ATM cards and stop them and have them re-issued. Have the bank contact the the company that manages your credit and see if your's has been damaged. Your credit score may drop a little because of the re-issue of cards but that's better than to let the theif continue to use yours. A few years back at Christmas, I bought my wife a lap top. Used my credit card. The number was stolen by an employee at Best Buy. Charged over 5000.00 on it in one night. I was notified by my bank about these charges the next day. They immediatly stopped payment on the card and re-issued it. I was not liable for any charges made by this young lady. I remembered the person who took care of me at Best Buy. She was apprehened and served jail time. You just have to be careful. It is very easy to steal numbers in this day and age. That's why I try and only use cash for my purchases. Good luck!

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I would call the bank that manages all your credit, ATM cards and stop them and have them re-issued. Have the bank contact the the company that manages your credit and see if your's has been damaged. Your credit score may drop a little because of the re-issue of cards but that's better than to let the theif continue to use yours. A few years back at Christmas, I bought my wife a lap top. Used my credit card. The number was stolen by an employee at Best Buy. Charged over 5000.00 on it in one night. I was notified by my bank about these charges the next day. They immediatly stopped payment on the card and re-issued it. I was not liable for any charges made by this young lady. I remembered the person who took care of me at Best Buy. She was apprehened and served jail time. You just have to be careful. It is very easy to steal numbers in this day and age. That's why I try and only use cash for my purchases. Good luck!

I have NEVER heard of a credit score dropping because you were re-issued a card. :dw:

oldmodman

Established Member
Keep a continuous fraud alert active with all three credit reporting agencies. That way no NEW credit can be issued in your name. Alert all credit card companies that your cards has been stolen and get a replacement cards. They will have a new numbers. After that nobody can get a credit report on your without your prior permission. No new credit, mortgages, lines of debt, etc. can be made without you knowing about it in advance.

Here is one way to keep your credit info from getting into the wrong hands. Get a debit card on a bank account that you start up for just this purpose. Have no accounts linked to the debit card accounts. Keep just barely enough money in it to cover expected purchases. Do not have overdraw protection. Use the debit card only for purchases where you have to give the card to someone and then it leaves your sight. The thieves will not be able to access your credit, only a tiny amount of cash in a throw-away account.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Keep a continuous fraud alert active with all three credit reporting agencies. That way no NEW credit can be issued in your name. Alert all credit card companies that your cards has been stolen and get a replacement cards. They will have a new numbers. After that nobody can get a credit report on your without your prior permission. No new credit, mortgages, lines of debt, etc. can be made without you knowing about it in advance.

Here is one way to keep your credit info from getting into the wrong hands. Get a debit card on a bank account that you start up for just this purpose. Have no accounts linked to the debit card accounts. Keep just barely enough money in it to cover expected purchases. Do not have overdraw protection. Use the debit card only for purchases where you have to give the card to someone and then it leaves your sight. The thieves will not be able to access your credit, only a tiny amount of cash in a throw-away account.

How would i do that? How do i do the fraud alert thing?!?!

BlownAway05

Established Member
Def keep up on this! I had a buddy that lost his wallet once, guy who found it went to another state, got a drivers lisence in my friends name. Caused a bunch of havoc on his credit/life. He didn't find out until he was pulled over one day and the police officer told him his license was suspended due to unpaid tickets (that the other kid incurred and used the real "fake" ID to get away with). Took him quite a while to get all that bullshit squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread