So today a Marine asked me a question...

stangaholic280

Established Member
I was in the checkout line at the BX here on Kadena and this marine (prob E-5/6ish if I had to guess) turns to me and says "Hey are you Air Force?". I said yeah. He says "How do guys get away with dressing like that?" and nods towards these two guys wearing shorts and wife beaters.

I agreed with him that they looked like a couple of hood rats, but I told him I really had no clue, the AF just doesn't really police the way people dress "off-duty". I told him I had been to the marine base here a few times and they actually checked me to make sure I was wearing a belt upon trying to enter the NCO club...which I was b/c that's just how I dress.

He was pretty condescending about the whole thing...I really wanted to say something about how the dress code for the marines doesn't seem to stop them from getting in trouble any less than the AF here on Kadena, but I kept my trap shut b/c I really didn't care enough to debate.

I know this is a random story, but thought it might start a good discussion about the various standards of the different branches, why they are different, and how effective they actually are in maintaining order and discipline.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
So he was bitching about how two people where dressed that wasnt during normal duty hours? lol. In the Army it doesnt matter what you wear when your not technically on duty. I mean you cant really wear anything considered extreme or whatever. But I know Marines have crazy rules regarding the way they have to appear.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
That's what makes Marines different. I have done Marines and Army and both has their perks but you can tell the difference. Marines will always be more up-tight on what you were. Just the beast of the nature.

stangaholic280

Established Member
That's what makes Marines different. I have done Marines and Army and both has their perks but you can tell the difference. Marines will always be more up-tight on what you were. Just the beast of the nature.

That's what I told him. I said it's just two different worlds, marine vs AF.

And yeah...he was basically bitching lol.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would have just responded with IDK, go ask them lol. Who is he to determine how people off duty should and shouldn't dress. When I'm at work, I'm at work, my uniform is perfect, boots perfect etc.. When I leave work I come home take off my uniform and I'm a dad, husband etc.. My Job is exactly that my job.. Granted I'm not the type to dress like trash just because it's not me. BUT there are plenty of people who do and I'm not one to judge.. Now if they are acting retarded then that is different.. But how they dress I could careless..

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I would have just responded with IDK, go ask them lol. Who is he to determine how people off duty should and shouldn't dress. When I'm at work, I'm at work, my uniform is perfect, boots perfect etc.. When I leave work I come home take off my uniform and I'm a dad, husband etc.. My Job is exactly that my job.. Granted I'm not the type to dress like trash just because it's not me. BUT there are plenty of people who do and I'm not one to judge.. Now if they are acting retarded then that is different.. But how they dress I could careless..

Again. What makes Marine's different :beer:

jenkins_1120

Established Member
^^ my little brother is a marine, we go back and forth all the time. when he would come home he would be shaving everyday and i was rocking a full beard.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
^^ my little brother is a marine, we go back and forth all the time. when he would come home he would be shaving everyday and i was rocking a full beard.

We do that too although we're not supposed to. I don't want anyone knowing I'm a Marine just by looking at me so I'll let the hair grow out while I'm off or whatever. The dress code is what makes us different, but the only thing that really bothers me is just people who dress nasty, like sagged pants, oversized t-shirts, etc. I don't know too many people who don't find that nasty.

Marines aren't taught in boot camp what other branches standards are, just that they're nasty. Once you're out and you start to interact with other branches you soon learn and it's not a big deal, but you're always going to have guys that just don't get it that we're not taught like everyone else.

The problem we have on our base is that rules are dictated by the Marine command but the Navy that operates under it don't always like to adhere to the dress codes so there's a lot of butting heads.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've seen Marines wearing the saggy pants, over sized shirts, flat bill hats, etc. Just like I've seen Sailors wearing those same clothes. I guess it just depends on the person.

truefiveo

Established Member
Thats why I joined the Air Force its my own business how I wanna dress or express myself off duty.

Who to determine a "hood rat look" anyway?

Is it also a crime to wear tight crotch hugging wranglers a cowboy hat and boots with spurs with a flannel shirt tucked in???

I think not!

Marc

Established Member
I came from Kadena.

Ask him why they won't let their single Marines, first duty station not drive a car when my 16 year old could drive over there.

Different service, different rules.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The Marines are a different breed.

Both branches have two totally different missions, thus why standards are different and tailored for the different type of individuals required to fill the positions.

At the end of the day it wasnt his buisness whether or not some Airmen were dressed like scrubs but he still felt compelled to complain. Like someone mentioned, I would have just replied "If it bothers you so much, go tell them."... End of story.

stangaholic280

Established Member
I came from Kadena.

Ask him why they won't let their single Marines, first duty station not drive a car when my 16 year old could drive over there.

Different service, different rules.

Haha, I didn't even want to go there. Marines cause a shitload of trouble, Army does, Air Force does too...I don't care what their dress code is or what their curfew is, there are people in every branch who are just going to make the rest look bad.

And vice versa...all branches have their people that are sharp as tacks.

All the branches have issues, even Marines. It's just a matter of timing or location.

Exactly. This is why I can't have a beer past midnight here on Okinawa lol...cause of those exact issues.

OU812

Established Member
Haha, I didn't even want to go there. Marines cause a shitload of trouble, Army does, Air Force does too...I don't care what their dress code is or what their curfew is, there are people in every branch who are just going to make the rest look bad.

And vice versa...all branches have their people that are sharp as tacks.

Exactly. This is why I can't have a beer past midnight here on Okinawa lol...cause of those exact issues.

I was at NCOA in Apr-May and that curfew thing cracked me up, the command chief said it was in the process of being lifted for AF personnel though. I honestly sometimes wish we had stricter rules regarding the dress code though, it pisses me off to see gangsta wannabes looking like idiots and knowing that I'm associated with those idiots because we're all AF.

stangaholic280

Established Member
I was at NCOA in Apr-May and that curfew thing cracked me up, the command chief said it was in the process of being lifted for AF personnel though. I honestly sometimes wish we had stricter rules regarding the dress code though, it pisses me off to see gangsta wannabes looking like idiots and knowing that I'm associated with those idiots because we're all AF.

I know what you mean...call me a stickler, but sometimes I hate be associated with the idiots in the military, whatever branch they happen to be in. It's even worse being in a host country. At least in the U.S. you are being an idiot on your own turf.

My personal favorite has always been a guy I spotted who was wearing black skinny jeans with lime green high-tops with the tongue on them flipped forward. I think he had some emo shirt on and a bright pink hat cocked sideways with a straightened bill. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

I know we don't have a dress code and your entitled to dress how you want, but come on... :shrug:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I don't think it is limited to service members outside of the Marines. Have you ever seen the way brand new Marines dress?! Ridiculous outfits, it doesn't even make sense. And they carry a damn backpack every where they go. Now, this behavior is not limited to the Marines either as I was at Ft Leonard Wood a couple months ago and saw brand new Army soldiers wearing the same kind of ridiculous outfits and carrying a pack pack with them, every where. Even if they go on a short walk to the PX they carry a pack with them, and a god damn Camelbak! Wearing a camelbak, with civies! LOL!

I have noticed that the way service members dress changes with how long they have been in. The longer they have been in and the more mature they get the less of an asshat they become. I've stoped a couple of my guys before. About to head out to a club in town wearing pants and tan combat boots. Put on some normal, nice shoes. And not the ones you wore this morning during PT.

Users who are viewing this thread